• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Plastic Fuel Lines

therbert

Is it common to replace these. I noticed that the one conected to the IP would drip every 15 or so seconds. I tried to tighten, but didn't worrk. If one is leaking what is the chance that more will?

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the age of our trucks it is fairly common to need to replace old plastic and rubber lines. There is a PS magazine page on tightening fuel lines and they have been discussed pretty well in the past. Try searching for fuel line, ferrule, nylon 11, airbrake line, return line, etc... I'll look for the PS page.

Jake0147

It seems to me from what we've seen at work that the ULSD isn't "causing" damages, but if you've got issues with worn or defective parts that you're nursing along, this stuff doesn't offer as much protection. If you've got something, even if it's old or high miles, if it's ship shape and all in good order, it really doesn't seem to bother anything, at least so far.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your using the plastic air brake line, you need to use the special fitting made for it. They are omewhat different then regular compression fittings

Lee in Alaska

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
lee, i disagree. just use the brass sleeve and plastic ferrule used on plumbing tubing. do not overtighten. the advantage of air brake line is that it is nylon inside, has reinforcing strands for high pressure and has a uv coating on outside.

Jake0147

If you're using air brake line for air, then there are special fittings. They're not a lot different but just enough, and they're DOT certified. (I doubt anybody's checking these on an MV, it MAY be only for CMV applications which is pretty grey on these, but... they're easy to find and are no more out of line price wise than any other brass fitting) If the air brake line is used for anything but air, standard compression unions work just fine so long as you use the sleeve inside of the ferrule. That's the fuel line of choice on lots of new trucks. You can chaffe it, kink it, clamp it down under bell housings, and still the only way to make it leak is to actually cut it or to forget the sleeve at a fitting (which actually cuts it).

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom I have considerable experience with the Air Brake Line, for all types of uses. Its mostly on comercial vehicle applications - that is where I became familiar with the stuff. Its bullet proof. I re-plumbed a large ag tractor fuel system, with the stuff, 25 years & its like new. I have never come across the plastic ferrals that you mention. The ferral that is used for plastic air brake lines is somewhat longer then the ferrals that are availiable at the hardware store for copper tubing. The air brake tubing Nuts won't tighten up on the shorter ferrals, before they "bottom out". The inside sleeve is mandatory. The only thing that the plastic tubing REALLY doesn't like, is an external heat source, that you may be using for cold starts (or a torch). The stuff melts real easy. Otherwise, I have found the plastic "Inert" around fuels and solvents that we use. The best advantage to the plastic is its resistance to vibration & its ease of "running " the stuff in tight places. Anyway,.... I think we are talking about the same advantages!

Happy New Year
Lee in Alaska