• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce possibly spotted in Gainesville/Flowery Branch, Ga area

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I was going south on I-985 this afternoon, between roughly mile marker
15 & 14.

And glanced to my right (Lake Lanier side of freeway).

And noticed in a small open field behind a business what looked like,
some form of old Deuce, painted OD green with plenty of rust spots.

It was parked amongst a few construction type vehicles.

It was as plain as day, and I know some of you are in that area.

Just thought I would mention it, in case any of you are looking for,
a new project.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still waiting to see a Deuce around the area. The closest one I have seen is in Cumming across the lake. I know they are out there I just never see them.

I will be looking out the mystical Deuce on the way home today.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I work in Duluth and travel that section of I-985 every time I go to work. I've never seen the deuce you are talking about, but then I've never looked before. I'll take a look on the way home from work today.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Y'all might consider keeping posts like this one consolidated in a single thread such as this one...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/62008-mv-spotted-thread.html

The major advantage to maintaining such continuity is that there is already an established subscribership of other SS Members interested in the "SPOTTING" aspect of the hobby.

IMHO
:popcorn:

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I was in that area again today, and since I was on my way back to the office,
I had a few moments to pull over and write down some details for you,
Therefore, if any of you are in that area, maybe you can find it.

But I may have made a mistake about something, since I pulled over on the
Freeway and stopped to look this time, to get a better look.

It looks like it may actually be an M37 maybe??

However, here are some location details;

I-985 southbound
On right side (lake side of freeway)
Just past mile marker 15
Immediately after “Plainview Road”, overpass (no on or off ramps for that road)
A “First State Packaging, Inc. “semi-trailer in same yard as this Deuce/M37??
Look, for big blue corrugated metal building, it is parked behind this building,
On the freeway side of this building, so you can see it from the freeway.
It is parked between a white & black pontoon boat and one of those big construction
Shovel machines. (They used to be called steam shovels).

Update: Here is a link to a google maps satellite photo of the yard that mystical deuce?? is in.
Hope it helps, good luck:
http://g.co/maps/tnpcj

That is about it for now, Good luck finding it.. Let me know if you do, and what happened.

Good day,

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stopped and took some photos of the M37. Unfortunately, it was early and the facility wasn't open yet so I couldn't get in the fence. The M37 is located at Williams Transport / Williams Sand Co. at 3945 Thurmond Tanner Road , Flowery Branch, GA. I couldn't tell what kind of condition it is in.

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys we are members of Steel Soldiers not stalkers. If somebody wants to stop and knock on the door and introduce themselves great. Ask who the owner is and see if he is a Steel Soldiers member.

This is not some undercover mission. Think how you would feel if a group was running by your house or farm and taking pictures and posting on the internet.

Lets be respectful. The owner of the vehicle is one of us.

CycleJay

Glcaines,

Thank you for posting that information. I may just contact them, just out of curiousity.
To find out more about it.

CycleJay

Swiss,

True, but there is an MV spotted thread already going here is'nt there?
Where details of sightings are posted.

If such a thread is a problem, then the moderators should delete it.
In order to be respectful.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys we are members of Steel Soldiers not stalkers. If somebody wants to stop and knock on the door and introduce themselves great. Ask who the owner is and see if he is a Steel Soldiers member.

This is not some undercover mission. Think how you would feel if a group was running by your house or farm and taking pictures and posting on the internet.

Lets be respectful. The owner of the vehicle is one of us.
I did stop and knock on the door of Williams Transport, but they were not yet open, although the gate to the parking lot had already been opened. There was a guy there out front and I asked if I could go around the back and look at the truck. He said that I needed to wait until the office was open. I told him I was going to take some photos from the road behind the facility and he said it should not be a problem.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cyclejay I am cool with spotting MV's, no problem here. I just wanted to make sure we did turn into the "BUGOUT" and cross any lines.

The guy is practically my neighbor, I will see if I can find some time to introduce myself and get some more details.

:)

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did stop and knock on the door of Williams Transport, but they were not yet open, although the gate to the parking lot had already been opened. There was a guy there out front and I asked if I could go around the back and look at the truck. He said that I needed to wait until the office was open. I told him I was going to take some photos from the road behind the facility and he said it should not be a problem.
Gary thanks for the update, I may have gotten a little exciting on my post :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That M37 has been there for eons. I am sure it has been there a minimum of 5-6 years and maybe more. I'd swear I could remember it being there when I was going to Gainesville.

I don't recall them having a deuce though.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to return next week when they are open and ask to look at it and see if it's for sale. I'm not interested in it, but someone else might be if it's available. As Clinto said, it looks like it has been sitting there a long time. The back is piled with junk and it looks like it might have had a hard life. I suspect it belongs to the company, not an individual. If they let me look at the truck close up, I'll post photos.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to return next week when they are open and ask to look at it and see if it's for sale. I'm not interested in it, but someone else might be if it's available. As Clinto said, it looks like it has been sitting there a long time. The back is piled with junk and it looks like it might have had a hard life. I suspect it belongs to the company, not an individual. If they let me look at the truck close up, I'll post photos.
TENACITY !
This is how opportunity and reality join forces and cause good things to happen in any hobby concerning "collectibles". A sharp eye. Detective work. A handshake and and introduction. An honest discussion of the "treasure". And then the QUESTION?... "What's it worth to you?"
I love the "hunt".

I did something similar when we got our 1960 vintage 26' Box Van Semi-Trailer.... Saw it on a business's storage (read as "junk") yard, tracked down the business that owned the yard, visited the owner, and snagged the trailer for $400 cash!!! HeI had, up until I showed up, thought he was going to have to pay somebody to strip the wood floor out of it, and yank the axles out from under it in order to just scrap it (probably at a loss on the labor costs). Consequently, $400 was a great price for BOTH of us. AND... we saved a piece of military history from the scrapper.

GO FOR IT ! ! ! :grd:

wdbtchr

I can't tell from the pictures for sure, but it looks like the tank and reel hose that was in the back of my M37. It was a brush truck from a rural fire dept painted white. I would expect red paint on it but who knows.

I love to see more, I like finds like this.

sail-bum

Swiss, I do store my Green Iron in your back yard! My toys are in Flowery Branch, and yesterday I took it home for this mornings breakfast at the 57th Fighter Group. Hope to see you there!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks