• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce power steering conversion

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
oifvet said:
Curious about the cost of what you did....
Cost??? Priceless!:)
Oh yes, almost forgot.....paid for components found in L.A., CA 2 years ago: 5ton pump, rebuilt $200, ST-box +drag link+shaft, used $200; seal kit $75. Add $300 for import. Materials bought locally: CV-joint, new $40; reservoir, used $20; hoses+fittings $80; + misc. = est. total $1000
Work hours: every possible free time incl. many "converted" sleep hrs, during min.3 weeks! (Not counting travel time and expenses!)
Cost of labor? No cost of course, this is hobby!

G.

oddnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power steering box HF-54

Hi

I'm working on one of my truck's to have power steering on it, and consider first
air power. This is not a good fore use over her on winter when we have to use snow chain, because this can damage the horses if the chains come off ore not tight. Air loss and almost no brakes.

The army had some bad experience so all air o matic have been taken off the truck's

So after reading on the SS i find this thread about the hydra power HF54.
There is also other types but the HF54 is the best to use because it can be bolted inside the frame so it's not in the way fore wheels ore the terrain.

All other components are easy to find ore make, the pump is from the 5 toner
LDS engine, and I think they can be found on the marked.

The most expensive component is the HF54 this cost some $$$£ if you just take the first you find, but we can't give up so fast.

I was looking around the prices was from 400 up to almost 900 fore one of the HF54's. I did not take this fore a final price.
After some work I find some so have them to a god price, new rebuild I paid only 125 no core charge.

The company is Metro Airport Truck MI, contact Doug Jones , phone (734) 941-1801 and mail dougjones@matruck.com

I hope to get my truck on the road before new year, and try it on the winter roads.

We have at the writing moment minus 10 C and around 15 cm snow
(low lands)

Odd

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PS kit

Ever think of making a kit? I would sure like to put one on my truck.

Bill
Michigan

Yes Bill, if I was living in your country and had easy access to all those nice components....... !

The problem I see with a kit using the HF54 (inside the frame rail) is that it always involves some cutting & reinforcing of the frame, besides other minor mods.
Take a look here http://shortlinks.net/arj321
Possibly a conversion better to be done in a qualified shop....!?

Another option which could be more of a "bolt on" kit would be using a PS box designed to be mounted outside of the frame. See Tom's (m-35tom) creation here: http://shortlinks.net/rlb339 Specially when running super-singles on wheels like OD Iron's with reduced backspace there is enough room for not having any interference issues, even with the wide 15.5s!

G.

KaiserM109

I am impressed with your conversion, partly because you did it INSIDE the frame. I have found several systems in junk yards, particularly 2 ton IH rigs, but they all mount outside the frame.

I have been wondering where school buses go to die! They should have similar systems.

dozer1

Gringeltaube definately did some top notched work on his power steering conversion. Last winter I unsuccessfully tried to get a few different companies to set up a ready to install hydraulic steering kit for the deuce. Not sure why they didn't go for it, but it just seems like it would be a good selling product to me. In a recent thread somebody mentioned that Boyce Equipment has a kit available now. If its true, that would be GREAT!! I hope its priced within reason and works well. Anybody put one on yet?

bones1

I just called Mark at Boyce and he is about 10 days-two weeks away from documentation and rolling out the complete kits.
He says they are bolt on kits with a p/s pump and all bracketry.
He knows that we will want to see the documentation first.

Heath_h49008

Use a 5-ton pump?

If you find one, see if they have the reservoir as well. This is my 2nd or third modification on my list... I'm curious where everyone is getting parts from, and at what cost. If the Boyce kit is twice the price, I'll just piece mine together.

Last edited:

JasonS

The 5-ton pump uses an external reservoir. I suggest a reservoir off of a larger truck (Mack, et al) which has the built in filter. Ross recommends a 50 micron filter for the HF54.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I talked to a guy that i was going to drive a truck for, he has a bober, plus others, he said that he sent the steering box to the OM and asked about a hyd. power box, he said that thay built a box for him, a lot cheaper that he thought, ( basicaly moding an exesting box),it was a bolt in with the drag link, he uses a 5t pump, had lines made, going though my notes, i can not find where i wrote his name. PLEASE IF YOU READ THIS, STEP UP

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks