• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce pre-purchase inspection?

pevrs114

Gents,

Thanks for a great forum. I really enjoy this forum because it's technical-based, and not very much trash talk and bashing. Just a bit of good natured banter.

I have an M1028 thanks to this forum, and I'm looking at a Deuce. My buddy, who's dad was an MV collector before he passed, has an M35 w/w and hard top out at his barn on the old property. From what he's told me, they bought it from a local power co-op, and it's titled in VA. He never got around to restoring it, so it's supposedly 'rough'. The guy has already junked one 5T gasser bridging truck, and this one's next on the block. He told me he'd give me a 'bro-deal' price, as he'd rather not see it go to the scrap yard either, but he wants it gone. Luckily, steel prices have plummeted so I think I can compete well with the yard.

That said, I am gonna go up there (about 20 minutes away) with him next week to take a gander. I'm going to read through the PMCS manual, and I'm fairly handy with light mechanical work so I could spot glaringly obvious problems.

What else should I be looking for? Any obvious, common problems or specialty parts I could identify on this recon run? I'll be taking pictures so I'll have plenty of evidence to help get ID's on transmission, t-case, engine, turbo, any specialty equipment, etc.

Any preferred parts that are more desired over others? From my research, I've read about C and D turbos on the LT465, and the difference between OD and direct drive 5spds, and the sprague/air shift t-case. Anything else I should be paying close attention to?

Obviously, fluid leaks, anything seized, rust/rot (where are the hidden places that are often rotten?)

Thanks for any information, I've tried to do my research ahead of time, but I'd love to have any other specific information.

dm22630

Watch this video that I uploaded for a deuce that I sold on ebay.......it should give you the basics on how to test it & what to look for.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4XSFXrjC-U[/media]

pevrs114

DM, thanks for the video. I drove a deuce some in the army but it's been about 5 years since I've been in one, that video was a handy reminder for the way they work.

Any other tips? Where do these trucks normally rust? Any other super-expensive parts I should inspect closely to ensure are in good working order? I'm already banking on it needing brakes, some seals, etc just out of normal measure for a truck sitting for a few years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks