• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Purchase help

Bearenugen

Hey guys I've been looking into getting a deuce and I have the time and money to work on/maintain it. But I wanted to talk to an owner just to get the jist of having one. I'm a young guy and have always loved working on cars trucks etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They do take time to keep them running well. If you plan on taking it in the mud, plan on spending at least a day if not two going through the axles.

gimpyrobb

Sounds like it could be a good vehicle for you. I do not recommend them as a daily driver, though some do use them that way. You should at least have back up transportation.

Bearenugen

I have a car right now and I was only planning on using it on the weekends. Another thing is other than the different shift pattern is it harder or easier to shift.

gimpyrobb

Nope, they require constant upkeep, but are easy to work on. The shift pattern is easy once you get used to it.

welldigger

I honestly don't find the maintenance to be that bad. Then again I maintain a water well rig and I could spend a full day getting to all of the zerk fittings on that thing. The only issue with maintenance compared to a normal vehicle would be the capacities of everything. Instead of 5 quarts of oil it takes 23. You get the picture. As far as driving one well....its not hard at all. The manual steering can suck but if your moving even a little bit its not bad. The transmission shifts smoother than my f-350. Other than the goofy shift pattern. Which only takes a little practice to memorize. And I do mean little. Like gimp said there is a lot of maintenance to perform but if you have any technical ability there is nothing difficult about it

mcmullag

You sound like a good candidate for a deuce owner, with your skills. I'm pretty much done restoring mine, now I appreciate it just sitting there in the driveway for it's; mechanical uniqueness, simplicity, and heavy duty qualities. You should get one and then you can have fun just learning about it as you maintain and work on it. Mine pretty much just goes out for parades now. 100_1622.jpg

shannondeese

I drive mine 100 miles a day as my daily driver. I have a back up truck though if I need it. I am a nut when it comes to preventive maintenance. PM. I change the oil every 5000 miles with Rottella. I change the fuel and air filters every 12 months. I drain and refill the diffs, transfer case, and transmission, grease all the bearings every 12 months too. I love driving my Deuce so much I have to think about the shift pattern in everything else or I wind up in the wrong gear. As for tips each Deuce has its own character. I've driven 4 and owned 3 each was a little different in its feel and driving characteristics. But once you figure it out you'll never want to not own a piece of old iron.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Read this. It is a sticky on deuce ownership.

This question gets asked about once a month. There are a lot of threads out there and there are a lot of folks in GA that have deuces. My suggestion is if you are serious to take the time to contact one of these folks and meet with them to go over the ins and outs of the truck. Maybe even go for a training drive. Clinto usually has a truck for sale. He'd be a good person to contact since he has driven them a lot and he has done just about everything that can be done to a deuce.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are close to SS member Clinto (he is near Athens, GA) get in touch with him. You could do well to let him mentor you in the care and feeding of the duece. He is absolutly anal about his trucks (the keepers and the ones he sells). He is also the Grand Master of the world famous Steel Soldiers GA Rally held every October. If you join the Fellowship of the Deuce the GA Rally is the place to be in Oct. Fun, friends, food, trail rides and a hardball convoy will allow you to have a ton of fun with your truck and meet some interesting (and strange) military vehicle folks.

Bearenugen

I will have to do that. I think I'm getting one soon idk how soon but I want one bad now. And check out the rally also. Thanks so much y'all have helped out alot

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bearenugen,

Welcome to the site. You'll have to come to the rally, links are below in my signature line with all the pics and videos from the 2012 event. It's a great time.

I'll be happy to help you in any way. You're welcome to swing by my house to talk trucks.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where in Georgia are you located? I'm near Hiawassee in Towns County in the NE Gerogia mountains. I have both an A2 and an A3. If you are near, you are welcome to stop by and go for a ride and drive one or both if you want. If you are interested in MVs, you definitely need to come to the Gerogia Rally this fall. I have had minimal problems with my trucks. Most of the problems I've had was from neglect while the Army had them. They are both dependable and I routinely drive both fairly long distances. PM is not hard and they are easy to work on. They are fun and useful vehicles to own.