• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Raidator

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My favorite duece has a radiator leak, started off as a hiss ended up as a steady stream. I have found a guy with four brass radiators in the crate. His only description of them is that they are huge! He is a few hours drive from me, I have asked him to see if he can find an NSN number on them since he seems to have no clue as to what they fit. I am going to measure one of mine to add some dimensions to the investigation. I am hopeful they are deuce units since they are brass, which is what i am thinking he is going to base his price on, scrap brass prices. If it does turn out to be good deuce radiators and the price is right and you are close enough to do a pickup I can buy all four, I only need two so if you are interested let me know.
James

Truckoholic

Where is the leak? I have recently discovered how easy it is to solder brass radiators. Had a leak in my logging trucks radiator. I was picturing nothing but dollar signs and did not have the money to replace it. But with just a little patience, a torch, a wire brush, some flux and some solder, I had it fixed.

Then the other day I was sandblasting my deuce and accidently blasted a few holes through the already thin radiator and next thing I know the truck is pissing on me. I knew not to direct the sandblaster at the radiator, but should have done a better job of protecting it. But anyway, I was able to solder that one up too. Not sure yet if I got all the holes since I am not quite ready to put water back in it, but if I missed any I will just drain it again and solder them. The only time it would be a real problem, is if the hole is deeper in, to where you can't get to it.

But yeah, just a thought for those who don't want to fork out the money for another radiator.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't pulled mine out to look at it yet, I may try the soldering if I can reach the spot, but as Warthog said if the price is right a spare would be a good investment.

Truckoholic

I haven't pulled mine out to look at it yet, I may try the soldering if I can reach the spot, but as Warthog said if the price is right a spare would be a good investment.
Yeah for sure! If I was not clear across the country, I would definitely be interested in one myself. When I accidentally put the holes in my radiator, I started looking online for a replacement.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my radiator to a little shop in town and they repaired it and flashed it out for $75.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy with the radiators found the following numbers on them: two of the radiators have 293000-5749230 on them while the other two have 293001-3251480 & R55597312242080 on them. The first NSN I found was a engine radiator, nothing else useful, I didn't find anything on the last two numbers. This is kind of moot for me anyway since he wants $500 each for the radiators. If I cant dicker him down a lot I will be following M35A2-AZ's lead and finding a radiator shop!

Truckoholic

Yikes! Yeah I see Eastern Surplus wants $650 for one. I sure hope my repair job worked! Still haven't been able to get around to putting water back in it to see. Will do that today hopefully.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Found a pic of the first radiator in a GL lot, it's not a deuce radiator. Not sure about the other.

Flyingvan911

My rad has a small leak by the filler neck where the top cover is soldered on. I am going to take it off and have it fixed. First I'll put some flush in it and clean out the system. When the engine reaches about 180 degrees a little drip will run up the hood and hit right in the middle of the driver windshield. If the engine cools back down to 160 it stops. I guess the winter cover causes the air to flow toward the front of the truck and it pulls the drips of antifreeze with it.

Last edited:

Truckoholic

Well......my radiator turned out to be way worse than I thought it was. This is on my 1966 M35A2. Turns out it was so corroded inside that so many of the water passages were so extremely thin, that there was just no way to fix it. I'd fix one hole, and three more would pop up. It was so thin that you could practically just breath on it and the brass would come apart and start spraying water. But since I am only in the process of fixing this truck up to sell it anyway, and didn't feel like spending $650 on a new radiator right now, I decided to just rob the radiator out of my other truck, and then when I get this one sold, maybe I can take some of the money to replace the radiator in the other one.

I swear, some of the parts for these trucks are so cheap, and so readily available, but then other parts like radiators are kind of hard to come by. Even if I did order one right now, it would probably be atleast a month before I got it!

Kaiserjeeps

If they are shot thats unfortunate. But they are easier to solder than you might imagine. Use acid core solder or silver solder,not rosin core. Rosin core is for electrical connections. Also use a small brass brush and or sandpaper to clean off old paint and corrosion.
Get a small propane torch head for the soldering. A small sheet of brass from the hobby store can be soldered over a hole or added to a filler neck for strength.

I usually heat the area and scrub it with a brass brush laden with flux. It will shine with fresh solder when it is clean. Then reheat and add the new solder till the seam or hole is patched. You may need to regulate the heat by not applying continous heat. Watch the flow.

I then pressure test it with some fixtures I made from the local hardware store.

Reminds me of a killer deal on a recored duece radiator Brad had for me. 150 bucks was a fantastic deal. I went up to get it and the crankers had stolen it the night before. Grrr. That is why I ended up fixing mine.