• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Rear Axle Factoid

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While doing a little shopping around a few years back I came across a weird deuce rear axle. Had a cruved steel plate around the back of one axle tube. After some investigating I found that the plate protected the air cylinder the engages the locking differential. Yep, air locker! In the mid to late 60's Kaiser Jeep had a contract to send M35 variants to Norway. These trucks were similar to ours except they had air locks in all 3 diffs, single wheels, arctic kits installed and a few other odds & ends. They were the M621 and so forth and had vans dumps and cargos. There are a few of these axles over here and they are neat. All of the ones I;ve found were rears and were new (or rebuilt) in the crate. Remember Millenium Reo? The ground up CAT powered rebuild by Tom Bauer? He bought 3 air lock rears and used one to convert a front. Don't know what he's done with them but he da man! Anybody got any?

1ton

The only thing you need to find now is a set of axles that can disengage and engage the diff with the same air cylinder. The center would have to be able to bypass power to the rear when disengaged. They would also have to to have portal hubs (steelsoilders shoudn't be the only one that gets a foot and a half of ground clearence!) to clear those sets of six 53s we will all find sitting in public storage. The hubs need to have a OD so we can all Haul down the highway at 80 all day long. And of course the have to have CTIS. [thumbzup]

That would be worth a mint full of euros.

[2cents]

FSBruva

R 4X4-

Are these axles you speak of different from the air-shift transfer case someone was mentioning in the thread about double splined rear axles? So, these are like Detroits when you want them to be, and like normal when you want?

Where would be the best place to look for these? Or would we better off having Stefos find them for us?

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are completely different. They can lock up tighter than a detroit or unlock like an open diff. White Owl had one or two a few years ago. I can't afford them so I'll just keep my junk. Doesn't mean I don't want them though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got no numbers Bjorn. They were modified here in the states but I'll be darned if I can find out who dunnit. Are you looking to get one Sir?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, the M621's also had roll over protection for the cab along with single 1100's, of course.

Odd sent me the speedo adapter after I installed the 1100 tires. Good man!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've not been able to contact Odd. He was a very nicy guy and despite the miles betwenn us, would bend over backwards to help. I wished I could find him!

spicergear

1Ton, I don't thinks it's gonna be possible to find a military design for the 2.5 tons that will allow a through drive for the Rockwell axles that we have. It's the first part of the double reduction and I don't see how a bolt on would do that...it would have to be an entirely different differential.

Air lockers would be so sweet!!! Full open or Full lock is VERY friendly.