• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce rear suspension question

SuperJoe

i have a curiosity i cant seem to satisfy with google or the forklift. i have read all about the walking beam suspension style and cant find anything closer to what the deuce comes with stock.
first is this the correct term for the suspension style?
second i can not seem to gather how with no sideways support such as a pan hard bar or watts link how does not one but both axles stay centered under the truck through a turn? the leaf springs are parallel to the dog bones both top and bottom and all componets are perpendicular to the axles. no triangulation what so ever.

i even took the forklift and lifted the front drivers side rear and stacked it on two wheels i had in the yard to hold that axle against the bump stop. then took the lift around to the other side and lifted the rear,rear, passenger side to see the total "flex" between the axles. its very impressive to say the least. both axles twist in the manner that you would assume and the tops of the high side tire leans in just as i would assume also. over all the axles are still centered under the truck. the only thing i could imagine is holding the axle in place is the spring but after closer examination it is just floating atop the axle. not even fastened.

i hope i dont loose sleep over this but i am sure i will. could someone please bust out the crayons and draw this simple mind a picture on how it works
thanks
Joe

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Torque rods(referred to a dogbones) keep it relatively centered and from shifting much forward and back(until one breaks that is.) personal experience. You have 4 on the drivers side,one at the top and bottom of each axle and two on the pass side.

Last edited:

phil2968

Try driving the truck in a tight circle and stop it that way. Then get out and look at your axles, they will be at the limit of their side to side movment. Don't be suprised if they are not line!

SuperJoe

Alright. Things I will try once it has a working power plant. Since mine is on the ground next to it and the upcoming 5.9 is still in pieces in the garage I would assume this will be a while off.

Does it move enough laterally for the tires to hit the bed if its singled out?
Also could someone measure the difference in this tight rear steer in axle centers please

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The walking beam setup will be found on wreckers, this helps to spread the weight off the spring pack on to the axle, after a certain amount of spring set (load), the walking beam ends are on the beam stops on top of the axle, putting the load DIRECTLY on the axle hence relieving the springs of any additional load

As far as the spring NOT walking off the axle, the spring sits in a saddle that allows a lot of side play , the sides and the top cross bar keep the spring end in the saddle, the torque rods keep the axle in place

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How would we get along without you.
Thank you Sir!!

How....?..... easy:30.000+ members?? I'm sure there will always be at least one out there with a tape measure, one good eye, a laptop with the old MS-Paint, some freetime on hands AND LOVING THIS HOBBY; THIS SITE AND its (activ)FELLOW CREWMEMBERS....!

A great 2012 and happy wrenching, everyone! :beer:
Gerhard

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not a walking-beam suspension, it's more like the old 6-rod suspensions...except in this case it's a 4-rod (referring to the dog bones).

DAS

TRY looking up HENDRICKSON walking beam suppension...they were the founders of that type of units, they also make air-ride now...they started when tandems came about many years ago...DAS

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It's not a walking-beam suspension, it's more like the old 6-rod suspensions...except in this case it's a 4-rod (referring to the dog bones).
In a way, for the wreckers this is true to a point, wather then a true walking beam suspension with the beam attached to the axles, It is more of a walking beam on DEMAND, sorta the best of both types.

A true walking beam will be found on crane carriers, gradeall, ect

91W350

The deuce suspension does walk around a little. I realize the pivots are on tapered bearings that make for a very solid base. The arms are mounted in rubber at both ends though and the retainers on the ends of the springs are far from tight. That spring can walk around a lot in the end of the retainer. We have a trailer in the yard that has M275 style suspension, same as a deuce, but with overloads. The trailer is flipped and has no tires or wheels. Unless I misunderstand, the primary function of the single upper arm is to keep the differentials or axles tubes in this case, from rolling under the torque of the brakes or drive. I grabbed a few photos. Glen

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TRY looking up HENDRICKSON walking beam suppension...they were the founders of that type of units, they also make air-ride now...they started when tandems came about many years ago...DAS
The Mack camel-back suspension is also very similar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks