• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce receiver hitch

Mike944

Hey everybody,

I wanted to post some photos of the receiver hitch I made for my deuce.

It's super heavy duty. the side plates are 1/2" thick steel, and the tube is 3.5" square, with about 1/4" wall thickness.

the ball in the first photo is a 2-5/16, to give you an idea of scale. I wanted something indestructible.

IMG_2541.jpgIMG_2539.jpgIMG_2540.jpg

tobyS

Nice and heavy. I hope the receiver is thick too, the one on my pickup is getting loose from use.

My M35 gets one too but I may go with the 2 1/2" (I think class V) or mount both sizes. I use 2 5/16" ball on everything, even my little Ford ranger rear clip that has my portable welder has a 2 5/16" ball. I came across the 2" Reece insert portion for $10 and new 2 5/16 balls for $5 a couple days ago (bought a couple).

I hope you used good bolts, a load like 4 tons on a dump trailer can have a lot of leverage with long side arms. Enjoy!

Mike944

I debated using a 2.5" receiver, but in the end, I don't expect to use it much, and nothing over 7K, so I went with the standard 2" Those are the pieces I have laying around.

Bolts are high-strength, but probably a little small. They're temporary. I had to finish this up on short notice to tow a cub scout float in a memorial day parade. Before I tow any serious weight, i'll increase bolt diameter and/or count.

tobyS

I wouldn't have thought about using the 2 1/2" if I had not seen some of the plug in tongue's, nice and heavy, at a surplus place for only $20. Then I noticed how the 2" fit nicely inside of the 2 1/2", with pin holes aligning and everything. Thus the 2 1/2" would fit that size receiver or the 2" (making a spacer)...which I have several of (2").

rustystud

That's a good looking hitch. The only thing I would do is one: Bore out the mounting holes to 3/4" and use grade 8 bolts. Then add a couple of brackets to the back and mount it further in on the frame. My class 5 hitch ( 2.5" ) I bought was for a 1 ton Chevy and it had almost two feet long mounting brackets with over 10 mounting holes.