• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce recovery gone bad

1919A4

Bad air pacs can cause "stuck" brakes too.If you shut off the engine, and bleed down the air, and the truck will then freeup, thats a bad airpac.That can happen just sitting over winter.I have seen where some airtool oil put in the airpac will help.

Sarge

tranny tips

Mike, since you are new to deuces, I don't know if you are familiar with swapping a deuce tranny or not.
I have swapped a bunch of them.
In the motor pool we had all manner of great tranny swapping equipment but in the field we had very little.
I'll assume you don't have access to a military motor pool, so here is the field method.
Roll down both side windows and lay an 8 foot long 4x4 across them.
Remove 4 (only 4) of the tranny top cover bolts. Find 4 bolts with the same thread pitch but longer. Using the 4 new bolts, attach two chains to the top of the tranny cover in a criss-cross pattern. Remove the shorty driveshaft between the tranny and the transfer case. It's a really tight squeeze, but it will come out.
Attach a chain hoist (very cheap one works fine) to the 4x4 and to the two chains on top of the tranny. Take up the slack, but don't make the chains real tight. Remove all bellhousing to motor bolts.
Wiggle that tranny backwards until the input shaft is out.
Lower the tranny onto a small sheet of plywood. Drag it out.
This is an excellent time to check your pressure plate and install a new clutch.
Reverse all of the steps to put your new tranny in.
Hey hey! It's that simple!
First time may take a few hours, second time takes about 45 minutes.
It's a one man job.
Have fun!
-Sarge

rhinomike

RE: tranny tips

Thanks for the info, my deuce is in my friends truck shop, I have all the moderern big truck tools, lifts and jacks, etc. I have to pick up the tranny, and plate and new clutch. The trans is already out, just waiting on my pocket book to fill up to buy parts and be rolling again.
Rhino mike

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

You should do a new rear main seal while you are in there..... 2cents

FreightTrain

Banned

I don't see a stuck brake blowing a tranny.You would have broke an axle before worse case.More than likely just slid that tire even with front end engaged.That tire would have sat still and the other side would have spun at twice the speed as the rears.

rhinomike

yea I know but front end was into a hill with tire in a small indent, and i had to pull fwd to get out and onto the paved road, i think the tanny must have been on it way out, I did drag it in rev 2 ft b/r tanny broke. I'll know when the new tranny is back in and i test drive it, in the parking lot, see what sticks and check it over. I'm telling ya it was weird brake, I broke lot's of drivetrains as i compete in proff. rockcrawling and it didn't seem as if i put that much stress on the truck and there was never that "loud bang" when you break something like that. It was damaged before i got there. When GL says "truck runs" it doesen't mean it moves. The truck runs great! just in one spot!
rhinomike

Jakob

Re: tranny tips

Sarge said:
Mike, since you are new to deuces, I don't know if you are familiar with swapping a deuce tranny or not.
I have swapped a bunch of them.
In the motor pool we had all manner of great tranny swapping equipment but in the field we had very little.
I'll assume you don't have access to a military motor pool, so here is the field method.
Roll down both side windows and lay an 8 foot long 4x4 across them.
Remove 4 (only 4) of the tranny top cover bolts. Find 4 bolts with the same thread pitch but longer. Using the 4 new bolts, attach two chains to the top of the tranny cover in a criss-cross pattern. Remove the shorty driveshaft between the tranny and the transfer case. It's a really tight squeeze, but it will come out.
Attach a chain hoist (very cheap one works fine) to the 4x4 and to the two chains on top of the tranny. Take up the slack, but don't make the chains real tight. Remove all bellhousing to motor bolts.
Wiggle that tranny backwards until the input shaft is out.
Lower the tranny onto a small sheet of plywood. Drag it out.
This is an excellent time to check your pressure plate and install a new clutch.
Reverse all of the steps to put your new tranny in.
Hey hey! It's that simple!
First time may take a few hours, second time takes about 45 minutes.
It's a one man job.
Have fun!
-Sarge
I might be needing that advice soon. I'm a one-man crew as well, thanks for the tip!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: tranny tips

Brakes can really brake things when they don't work.... I know that was sick but I have had M872 trailers that had the brakes set during the night freeze solid to the drum and had M915's pulling them out of the motor pool with all 12 wheels locked That is a great way to make a couple of ditches in your motor pool. On one of the dollies I picked up at Aberdeen the brakes were locked. I went up first with my Suburban to recover it but it would not budge so I headed back next pick up day with the duece and man that thing drug for quite some time despite me hitting the drums with a 12 pound sledge I brought along. It was the biggest dolly the Army had and it uses 5 ton rims and wheels. I finally got it freed up but if I was trying to take off with those wheels on my duece I would have blown the tranny too.