• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Recovery June 15-18 Augusta, GA to Austin, Texas - 1100 miles

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the front axle isn't spinning, none of the places where the grease or gear oil are coming from are still moving, so they are no longer a limiting factor for how far you can go. As long as the hubs stay cool, you can drive on it essentially indefinitely. Some folks put that job off for years (I wouldn't recommend that though). You're going to need to disassemble the axle enough to clean out the knuckles and likely replace the inner axle seals at this point anyway, so the amount of road dust you will get in the knuckle on the rest of your drive home is of no additional consequence.

ToddJK

Sorry to hear about the issue. CbrTodd is correct on what you can do. Hopefully it's just the boots that failed and not the axle seals as well. I've had leaking seals before, it never looked like that, even after driving 1000 miles. Hopefully you can get it back on the road and on it's way home.

kenn

Well the driver front is heating up pretty quick so it's flat bed time. Passenger didn't get over 110. Hopefully there isn't any damage beyond bearings, seals, boot, etc. It's not cheap to ship but I should have listened to my inner reason and flat bedded in the first place.

ToddJK

Well the driver front is heating up pretty quick so it's flat bed time. Passenger didn't get over 110. Hopefully there isn't any damage beyond bearings, seals, boot, etc. It's not cheap to ship but I should have listened to my inner reason and flat bedded in the first place.
How warm was the driver front getting?

m715mike

@kenn - Looks like you are one step closer to home!

If you haven’t seen these threads, they may be helresources:

Front axle seals and boots stepXstep
Well, here it goes. Lot's of pictures to post and lot's of info to remember while I type it up. After I brought my truck home I noticed the inner clamps on both front steering knuckle boots had come loose and the bottom of the boots was full of fluid. So my plan was to replace the inner axle...
www.steelsoldiers.com

Deuce Power Bleeder R4x4 Style
Gang, here are 2 pics of my bleeder. You can see that the tank line has a ball valve and a quick coupler from an air line. It then connects to a second hose that has a tee and a 6" nipple that screws into the MC cap. There's a plug in the top of the tee but eventually it will have a pressure...
www.steelsoldiers.com

I like the axle boots from rockwelloffroad.com. The boots are good quality, there are here in Texas and have been great people to work with.

kenn

Thanks again gentlemen. I'll check that breather as well. I'll know more tomorrow when I get it into the garage. I'll start a new thread in "The Deuce" so it has a proper title and reference the links already here for the future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks