• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce recovery: "The time has come," the walrus said...

Flyingvan911

I would change all the spring vents on the transfer, transmission, and axles. If cloged they will cause seals to go out. Check the shaft between the transmission and transfer for loose bolts. Check the 4 bolts holding the steering box as well. I could go on and on...

Good luck

I think a set of those new racheting wrench would be useful.

I have looked all over. Where can you get new spring vents? I want to replace them with hoses eventually for fording.

I'm glad the recovery is going well.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Houston, we have landed!

With side trips, about 2200 miles. Engine ran like a Rolex, but a bit louder. Ear plugs and a PlaneQuiet ENR headset took care of that. Springer seat obviated the need for the wheelchair pad I brought. Lost alternator belts 7 miles west of Boerne, Tx on Labor Day. Local stone carver bailed me out with trips to Autozone...those bozos could not match NAPA numbers...with phone consults to Mike Arnold, I ended up with a 46.5-in belt that got me to the next NAPA store the next day, wherein I picked up one 25-9470...few NAPAs had more than one. Ended up with 4 after 2 more stops; installed two at a rest stop outside of Ozona. Attached pic shows making smoke outside of Houston early Labor Day [and birthday] morning.

The rest of the trip was uneventful, but for the leaking wheel cylinders on the rear axle...minor leaks...stayed pretty much off the brakes and kept wiping the inner rims and topping the mc with fluid at stops. Rear hubs started to warm up a bit relative to the others at theAz line, so the last 135 miles were a little slower. All in all, a pleasant and relatively easy recovery.

This brings us to an info request. Currently under the truck adjusting the parking brake. This is the first of what will be a series of observations on the recovery trip and questions re repairs/maintenance. While the TM instructions are clear, the parts diagram [Fig. 111, TM9-2320-209-20P] does not show/list the jampb nut on the adjusting screw for the outer shoe of the parking brake.

Q1: Anyone know the jamb nut specs? I put the 11/16 wrench up there and found the nut to be absent....shoes are flopping, explaining the relatively useless parking brake during the trip.

More to follow.

bs

Attachments