• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce registry

Should the MadHatter start a Deuce (or other) registry?

• Yes, a Deuce registry would be cool

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Nah.... don't waste the time

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Yes, start a massive one for EVERY mil vehicle.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Why am I even considering taking this poll?

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

armytruck63

Even thought all of my vehicles are parked in plain sight, I don't feel comfortable advertizing what I own (let's just say they are all M-series except for the Pinzgauer). I don't even list vehicles in my signature.

After watching a friend going through an all day "search" of his property because a neighbor saw "ammo boxes" (filled with parts and camping gear) in his garage (his kids even saw him handcuffed when they walked home from school), I figure it's better to stay under the radar as much as possible.

Just my two cents...

Last edited:

markmontana

Some thoughts about 'registries' before you invest a lot of effort. You have to ask 'why'? (My thoughts wander- so excuse the 'unspoken' :p )

The idea of a registry is to locate and track the whereabouts of (in this context) a vehicle. A good idea. This is based on the existence of factory records that list production vin numbers and other details. This can be very valuable to someone trying to restore something to original configuration. (Take a '69 Camaro: was it really an SS (or COPO) or just a Rallye? Makes a BIG difference.)

But now the idea of an M/V registry gets a little off track, at least to me, because we don't have access to military production records (at least not the average civilian like me), and the plants that produced the trucks did so under large contracts, so very little 'individuality' is involved. Lots of depot and end user upgrades to fit the needs of each unit.

The two registries I'm familiar with: Porsche 356 registry and Mopar registry. The 356 Registry is a very active place for owners of the rare 356 cars. They can identify the existence of most 356's ever built. They even go so far as to record the vin of a wrecked frame in a junk yard. It doesn't matter who owns it, just the fact that is has been spotted.

Another feature of registries is to obtain the original factory 'build sheet'. But again, I don't think MV's would have much to look at- seen one- seen 'em all.

Guns are similar (some models)- for example- it would be nice to know that every Colt Dragoon has been identified, even though the ownership is not recorded.

In the end, if you had an excel spreadsheet with every MV listed, and a guy could just go in and check off a box that he 'verified a VIN', well, that might work, but otherwise, what's the point? This SS forum really acts as a registry of sorts- without the regiment of an organized 'list'. Maybe for the best...2cents

MadHatter

Point Taken

MarkMontana: Point well taken. I'm scatterbrained thoughout the day (pulled in 1 to 10 directions at any given point by people & commo equipment) and was so when I created the thread / poll. (environmentally inflicted ADHD (the "oh, something shiny! syndrome)). :cookoo:
I guess the idea of the poll and thread was to 'test the waters', assuming nothing was ever done for the deuces previously (surprised when I was informed about DDoyle & CARNAC and hoping I'm not jumping on toes and irritating people as an actual registered user after several years of browsing the site). The concept I had was simply a year / model / maker / vin (s/n)... and if someone knew what it was originally commissioned for (hood / bumper numbers / branch) maybe as an 'other info' in the list. Someone like me with an M34 with no data plate could go in... blindly shove their s/n between two known accurate #'s and get a year of manufacture. Don't care about location or owner (maybe owner contact info long enough to confirm accuracy, but not posted). I'd take input all day long on this regarding a) a need b) what should be listed.:deadhorse:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This idea comes up about every 6 months or so.

I'm not David Doyle.

David Doyle got a good chunk of info from me.

I am not for publishing a registry.

Not trying to PO anyone but no support from me on this. Not speaking for David Doyle but doubt he will support it with the plethora of information I gave him because he will know how I feel about that.

We've used my services to bring in donations for the website and now the Gene Vance Foundation for Wounded Warriors. Supporting this idea would be akin to slitting my own throat except I'd be slitting the throat of wounded warriors.

Sorry, gonna pass.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My GPW is on the G503.com registry, has been for over ten years.
No body has come to steal it. but then again it is a big forest.......................

There is practically a registry right here on SS
Carnac's vin info threads, publicly displaying all sorts of info for the world to see.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks