• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce removeable hitch

rwoods

"Absolutly the nicest and most useful fabrication in my opinion done on this site and to any of our trucks, Super nice job,"

Agree 100%.:-D

Where were your pictures $400 ago when I was trying to come up with a removeable hitch?:cry:

There was a neat pintle hung ball hitch shown in the classifieds not too long ago for a 5 ton tractor, Also too late for me.

Once again great job. Ron

Recht71

Thanks for all the feed back and compliments . Dug I do have the safety chain thing taken care of . I got the hitch done the day before we left for our event in Kokomo In. thanks for the input. Till later Randy Recht

emr

It is just so useful and does not bugger up the truck, and towing toys has to be the number one thing I can think of to do with thse trucks. I had to look at it again.

tm america

materials and drawings might not be all the help you need to build them like that they invlove bending thick metal for the sides and the pieces going to the tube that goes to the pintle.the design could be modifeid slightly to make it easier to build without the fancy bends even though they make it that much more impressive:roll:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
removable hitch

very nice set-up, would like make one myself, but has anyone tried to figure the weight rating for a hitch like your's. How safe is it, first and foremost. I do like good ideas!

Ron

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
removeable hitch

I wouldn't think it has the same towing rate as the pintle would. Maybe a couple of more bolts and some more bracing. I wouldn't feel comfortable towing a truck on a float. I don't know what's everybody think?

Ron

tm america

i wouldnt even say what my thought on the weight rating would be as some of the ss linch squad are always watching:roll:i would just take into consideration the way flat steel bends vs metal with bends in it.also the effect of flexing has on a weld.also the location of the only fixed mounting points.

emr

will add since TM is, that the stand off brackets could be a little heavier and was wondering what one might come up with a quick release instead of bolts, but the bolts are really not a big deal, I wold not bugger it up with over doing it it looks good.And I still absolutly love it, And think it will do exactly what the pics show easy...i am thinking its intention is not to tow an M113 ...And the pintle is a give in much stronger, and he knows it one can just tell, This is a nice job for what he wants if one were to ask me...:-D...Glad u are behaving your self TM...:-D.....Randy

Last edited:

Driver523

Well---I have seen the hitch---know what he whats to pull with it---and have seen it going down the road and back, every time---No sweat Randy---Ya did good--------Driver

Recht71

Don't know what to rate it , Matt new what trailer I was using 12,000 GVW and what I was going to haul mostly Military M-37 or M-715. The drop receiver is rated 12,000 W/ 2-5/16 ball. There 's no doubt that Matt and a couple of his employee's who help build this hitch at his Family owned Fabrication and Machine shop been around 39 years new how to build a good strong hitch that would work for what I wanted . Thanks Randy I do know that the pintal is alot stronger. Got to remember these are show trucks not off road. My answer I believe the hitch will handle what ever a 2-5/16 ball will handle Till later Randy

Last edited:

tm america

i dont think you would ever have a problem towing the trailer and m37 . only time you would notice a difference in the hitch you have and a conventional hitch would be in an accident .but at that point things are gonna be getting messed up anyway.it is a nicely built piece.is the reciever tube on your hitch a 2x2 or 2.5x2.5 inch tube.. i think i would run a tube between the frame rails with two tabs that stick down on each side that way you could use a hardened pin instead of the 3/4inch bolts .and would use a pin through the pintle and have several holes so it could be height adjustable to . i would probably make the two side peices that run up to the frame from 2x2 square tubing so it wouldnt flex. but thats just me i have heavier things i need to tow like my backhoe and expandible trailer that is around 17500lbs .

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
removeable hitch

I just like to build things heavyduty, to the point of over kill. It certainly has me thinking. Thank you for posting your new equipment.

Ron

Driver523

Sometimes there is more talent in building something need specific rather then over kill--Randy could have built a hitch that would haul anything he could put back there--but then again why??? he could have built with that overkill in mind, like a 150 pound hitch instead of a 50 maybe 60 pound hitch but then again maybe there wouldn't always be someone around to help get that monster off or on at the shows, that hitch could have been built any number of ways but it was built his way by him--need specific to a particular purpose that works exactly the way he wants it too and exactly what it was built for, for this mans purpose it don't get any better----after again reading back through the posts I think most agree, its just too bad he won't need a driver now that he can haul stuff on that darn trailer------------Driver

jrou111

I'm not an engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

I think the weakest link are the bolts. But the tensile strength of 3/4" grade 8 bolts are 50,000lbs each. If you figure in a safety factor of 8, you're looking at 12,500lbs with a decent margin of error.

tm america

i dont think the bolts are the weak link the side rails are as flat steel flexs and can fatigue . but i think it is very purpose built and will do the job he is asking of it . i am the master or killing hitches.i would take overkill anyday. i broke a cat 5 hitch on my f250 loosing my trailer and load in the ditch i was happy noone else was on the street.when it bend- ripped apart it took the frame with it it bent the rear rails in 3inches on each side . hitches are like brakes better to have to much rather than not enough as you life and others around you depend on it .