• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce rollover angle - useful if you want to mount an inclinometer

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not want to hijack someone else's thread with this.

Given that the military inclinometers come from the LMTV series (or even other trucks and equipment), the range of the scale and the red marks may or may not be useful for the M35A2.

The US Army Tank Automotive Command did not fully model the M35A2 when they did a computer stability simulation with the M105 trailer in 1992, but the report says a few useful things:

"The maximum roll angle reached by the M35A2 was close to 25 degrees." [...] "Although 25 degrees is a severe roll angle for a truck the size of the M35A2, it is only about half the angle required for the truck to roll over."

The report is for an unloaded M35A2 which then towed a M105 with 0 to 3t maximum loads. The trailer affected the truck stability insignificantly.

Clearly, no inclinometer can take into account the differences between empty, loaded, partially loaded trucks. Having an S-280 shelter in the back certainly won't help with rollover angles.

So, if one wishes to have a somewhat meaningful inclinometer in a Deuce, the scale should probably run to about 35-40 degrees for empty wheeling.

That angle means half of your a** is already sitting on the door. I'd leave you and get out sooner (climbing out upwards, thank you). So.. on second thought.. maybe the FMTV inclinometer with a mere 26 degrees or so ain't that bad to keep people from doing schtoopid things! :)

If you feel like reading the report:
http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA255507
Click on "PDF URL" and download.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOW you tell me! I wish I had that info years ago when I thought I was gonna roll it at one of the Dirt Bag trips.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When shes laying on here side, you'll know it was too much.

So much comes into play, I doubt a gauge is usefull, but it looks cool!

Bill W

:ditto:

Heck the worst angle I usually encounter is when I accidentally drift off the shoulder of the road!!!

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When shes laying on here side, you'll know it was too much.

So much comes into play, I doubt a gauge is usefull, but it looks cool!
The gauge on yours read 90 at the end before the 108 picked it up......

;-)

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got 2 because I want to measure angles in both directions. Not because I'm afraid of rolling the truck, but because I want to end the arguments over how steep the road is.

I've had my truck going across a steep slope before. Everybody bails out (including me) well before the truck's limits. I'm just so old now that I don't believe that I'm immortal anymore.

And it will probably hurt... both me and my wallet.

BnaditCorps

"The maximum roll angle reached by the M35A2 was close to 25 degrees." [...] "Although 25 degrees is a severe roll angle for a truck the size of the M35A2, it is only about half the angle required for the truck to roll over."
I read the report and if I read it correctly it is saying that 25 degrees is ROUGHLY HALF of what is needed to roll a deuce?! So that would mean that a deuce would rollover somewhere around 50 degrees!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read the report and if I read it correctly it is saying that 25 degrees is ROUGHLY HALF of what is needed to roll a deuce?! So that would mean that a deuce would rollover somewhere around 50 degrees!
That is the problem with using imprecise, unscientific language in technical-scientific reports. You could be right...the rollover angle could be, say, 55 degrees. That means, 25 degrees are ROUGHLY HALF of the rollover angle. Or, the truck rolls over at precisely 45 degress, in which case 25 degrees are - drumroll, please - also ROUGHLY HALF of that angle.

They also do not say whether it was a w/w or wo/w, hardtop, softtop, tire size (in 1992 it could already be singled out on 11.00R20 OTR tires). Too much uncertainty to err on the generous side!

Once I need my rearmostest muscle clamping down on the seat to stay in place, I think I'd try to get back to level!

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

That is the problem with using imprecise, unscientific language in technical-scientific reports. You could be right...the rollover angle could be, say, 55 degrees. That means, 25 degrees are ROUGHLY HALF of the rollover angle. Or, the truck rolls over at precisely 45 degress, in which case 25 degrees are - drumroll, please - also ROUGHLY HALF of that angle.

They also do not say whether it was a w/w or wo/w, hardtop, softtop, tire size (in 1992 it could already be singled out on 11.00R20 OTR tires). Too much uncertainty to err on the generous side!

Once I need my rearmostest muscle clamping down on the seat to stay in place, I think I'd try to get back to level!
Yes it definitely would not have passed my AP Chem class, but for such a vehicle 45 degrees would be an extremely steep rollover angle, and speaks volumes about the engineers behind the deuce, as if its other accomplishments weren't enough.. It would make plenty of sense though considering the heaviest components are low on the chassis (axles, transfer case, transmissions, drive shafts, etc.) the only heavy parts above the chassis would be the engine and the bed.

But if you ever find yourself in a spot where you are operating on a 45 degree side hill I think you might want to rethink your life choices and pray to God.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks