• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce runs fine then dies. (Fixed)

Shelby1962

Just picked up a '63 that has a white multi fuel.it has not been driven much the last few years. The thing runs super and goes down the road fine and then just runs out of fuel. Spray a little silicone in the air intake and it fires right up and goes again. Changed the fuel filters and that made no difference. Prior to that we drained all of the fuel since the diesel smelled stale and had some waste oil in it, that didn't help either. The lift pump is making noise and can see fuel returning to the tank, but when I pull the bleed screw on the filters it hardly overflows. I don't see any signs of leaking and not sure what to check first. Hopefully someone has seen this before...

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How many fuel filters did you change? I ask cause the primary is often overlooked. Take the fuel bleeder out and check fuel pressures. SHouldbe 5-7 with the power on then go up to 40ish with the motor running.

It might be the fuel tube from the intank pump has gotten soft and needs replaced too.

Shelby1962

Replaced two filters yesterday that are both the same size- roughly 3"x10" in size. Is there another? Also replaced the 1/2" ID how's from the pump to the pick up line, that was pretty bad. I will have to get a fitting to hook up the pressure gauge. Thanks

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes there are three filters to replace, the primary is on the right side under the motor to the right a little on the frame.
Also the fuel line runs from the primary filter to the IP pump and that line sometimes is crushed.

Shelby1962

Thanks for the help....that filter was plugged solid. Runs great now. !
I see you are in western Arizona, that deuce must get hot as **** in the cab......

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the help....that filter was plugged solid. Runs great now. !
I see you are in western Arizona, that deuce must get hot as **** in the cab......
Glad you got her going. Yes it does get hot, LOL, that is why in some of my 5tons I have a/c in them

tobyS

Sweet...nice looking truck. Good you found the problem. If those are 11.00's, I have a set of 365's for the front.

tobyS

They are 9.00-20", I'm looking for a complete set of 11.00-20"
I like the 11.00's also, but with the 14.5 r 20 up front (on A3 wheels). They are the same revolutions per mile, same diameter but with less offset rim and a flotation/wider tire.

One of my first 5 tons was made into a 4X4 quad cab (using 395's) and there were some really nice Goodyear G177 11.00 r 20's left over. I'd check to see what is available if that is the tire your looking for. They were 90% or better.

Shelby1962

I like the 11.00's also, but with the 14.5 r 20 up front (on A3 wheels). They are the same revolutions per mile, same diameter but with less offset rim and a flotation/wider tire.

One of my first 5 tons was made into a 4X4 quad cab (using 395's) and there were some really nice Goodyear G177 11.00 r 20's left over. I'd check to see what is available if that is the tire your looking for. They were 90% or better.
Let me know on the 11-20's
thanks