• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce serial number question

Crazy_Matt

Frame says 10015 is this a '80?

Tried looking at the axle tag and it doesnt have a date on it. Will the serial number work to determine the year?

acetomatoco

RE: Duece serial number question

All that tells you is that it is vehicle # 15 of the series... back off and look for the series 0525-10015 or similar and that is your vin... Go to David Doyles deuce number article in a recent AM or SL or MV.. and get the estimated mfr date...at least one of your axles should have the tag on it... ACE

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember right the date on the axles is not on the tag they are stamped into the housing. Anyway you can also look at the trans and transfer case too. Its not 100% but should give you an idea. All mine are 1971.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
As RAM has said, we need the first four digit prefix of the VIN to get the year. OR, if the truck is very much older, instead of a four-digit prefix it will have the letter M as a prefix.

Post the full number, and we can help you out. The article referred to was in MV earlier this year.

And, axles can have date either cast in, or on a tin tag.

HTH,
David Doyle

Crazy_Matt

There was no 0000- number before the 10015

the serial # and plant # on the axle tag says 1209769

was the year stamped on top of the axle - in the center section? i seen a 80 last time I looked

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If it were a 1980 model there would be a 06XX or perhaps 08XX preceding the 10015.

Is it ex-army? If so, the army registration number should be stencilled on the inside of the doors and under the hood. This number would help a great deal. Where did you find the 10015?

Are the inner fenders vertical, or sloping?

There are also dates stamped in the wheels. There is usually a tin date tag on the transfer case as well.

HTH,
David Doyle

Crazy_Matt

the 10015 is on the frame by the shock- wonder if some numbers were ground off............

its a ex navy truck the fenders are sloped i think - id have to go look to be 100%

its the truck in my avatar - i guess i'll be doing some extra looking this weeked to figure out if it was really sold to me as a 80 or relabled as one

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I think you have found a part number for the frame rail, not the serial number. There are a lot of numbers stamped in the frame rail. The serial (VIN) number is stamped on the driver's side, FORWARD of the front axle, and a good 12-16 inches forward of the shock mount - so be sure you are looking in the right area.

Sometimes the four digit prefix is separated from the five digit suffix by 3-4 inches. IF you (or anyone else) finds a serial number with a 07XX prefix, I'll be VERY interested.

HTH,
David Doyle

Crazy_Matt

I still never found another # on the frame over the weekend.

Did see the trans is made in england tho :eek:

The transfer case is the one that actually gave up a number for the year 7-80 So the truck was sold as it was as claimed to be - so much for rumors I guess

Still gonna look for the frame number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks