• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Shifting Questions

panshark

Zeiss, just kidding about the "rare" 2x6, sometimes trucks get advertised on Ebay etc with a description like "rare convertible" or other bogus descriptions to explain why the duece they're selling is missing something desirable, or has had a drunken rattlecan paint job just before having pictures taken.

As funny as it is, Doghead's suggestion about a $500 honda isn't that bad. I you smoke the car, you're out $500. If you don't set it on fire, you can turn around and re-sell it, and now you know how to work a clutch. (He failed to mention that you need to make sure that the Honda is a manual transmission.):shock:

The others are right regarding teaching you how to clutch via a web forum, it's not a skill that can be passed on through verbage--you need to see, then repeat. That being said...maybe we need to discuss "smooth" with regards to engaging the clutch (your left foot coming up). Don't think about it as a constant speed that your foot needs to be moving. Your foot needs to be moving a bit slower as it rises to the "clutch point", which you can recognize by the engine sound dropping and a bit of forward creep (the truck creeps forward). That's the point that you need to be smooth at. Slowly let your foot rise, until you pick up forward motion...I guess that would be after your truck goes through the death throes.

If you're starting to feel discouraged with the whole clutch/starting the roll issue, they do make M35's with an automatic transmission. It's the A3 version.

If you can't find a Steel Soldier close to where you're at to teach you how to drive a manual transmission, maybe ask someone who looks like they speak Spanish. While the american passenger auto industry has been gravitating towards automatic transmissions for quite some time now, it's almost...(wait for it!)..."rare" to find an automatic transmission in many parts of Latin America. Just a regional observation...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is a simple fix for your issues, Start out in low range. As you gain speed you will move up to 5th gear. Once you hit 5th in low range, push in the clutch peddle and shift the T-case to high range, then place the transmission into 4th gear. After you speed up go to 5th. After a while, you will "learn the feel" for your transmission and not need low range any more.

Srjeeper

The TM says to use 1st gear, it's not like I'm doing any of this on purpose. I'm not sitting here saying "hey let's see how fast i can break the truck i just bought." I'm simply trying to figure out if it's the trucks quirks, somethings broken or maybe it's just me being a bad driver. :)

Just got back around to this and kid, you need to lighten up!!

I was not puttting you down, just trying to offer some suggestions from someone that's been doing this for over 45 years, but apparently I can't be delicate enough for you to realize that I was only attempting to help.

Good Luck, I'm done!!

dutchguy

I can't help but be amused by this thread. This is a truck that has been built to haul itself and 5000 lbs of cargo through ditches, sand, mud, up hill and down. I'm sure that the military drivers made sure that RPM's were under 1000, and that the clutch was released slow, smooth and easy during each takeoff and subsequent shift. Wow. I know, the busty girl in the Santa hat says "first is first". I also wonder how many soldiers basically power-shifted to second from first because they didn't have enough momentum to keep moving.

I want to take off empty in 2nd high, because it feels right in an empty truck. That's not full-throttle, clutch-chattering, wheel-hopping takeoff, though.:popcorn:

zeisshensoldt

Just got back around to this and kid, you need to lighten up!!

I was not puttting you down, just trying to offer some suggestions from someone that's been doing this for over 45 years, but apparently I can't be delicate enough for you to realize that I was only attempting to help.

Good Luck, I'm done!!
Bill, I do recognize and appreciate all the help that you've provided. I meant no disrespect at all. I know excuses, right? But I was already irritated at the time i typed up that response, so i apologize. I took it the wrong way, which i guess is easy to do over the internet. Also, I'll do what I can to try and post a video up here showing what my feet are doing and what my truck is doing during take off in 1st high.

i know ur not skilled enough to take off in 2nd hi but try it if u still have the chatter and shaking ill put money that your flywheel is warped... since it doesnt happen in 1st low i think that the gear reduction is hiding your problem since you start moving before the clutch has time to bounce off the high spots on your flywheel also did the previous owner tell you not to slip the clutch because if thats the case i bet he was having the same problem that you are and his solution to the chatter and shaking was dumpin the clutch

tco3129

My2cents. Relax, you'll get it with patience and practice. I shift 2nd low, 2nd high, 3rd, double clutch for 4th(syncros wore out), then 5th. OR, 2nd low, 3rd low, 3rd high, 4th(double clutched) then 5th. Starting out at bottom of hill - 2nd thru 5th in low then if grade and speed allow shift to high and down to 4th then 5th high. I only use 1st off road or heavily loaded on road just to get the truck moving. NO SPEED SHIFTING take your time. If you are in a hurry want to go fast - DRIVE A FORD:beer:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the vid I can't help but noticing that you're stomping the clutch pedal hard. There's no reason to push in that hard and fast. Also when you shift to neutral and let out the clutch you are doing it really fast.

You need to relax and slow down a little. There's no reason to "snap" the clutch in or out. After watching the vid I think you are too worried about slipping the clutch and are going too fast and hard on the pedal.

MrM4

Most of the time I dont use the clutch to shift gears, but you have to find a good balance between the Go Pedal and the Clutch when starting out. Like any truck, they are not made for speedy fast shifting like a race car, take your time and try for a smooth ride.

panshark

I use the clutch 100% of the time. It's there, so why not use it? I'm willing to risk having to replace a clutch sooner than I replace the engine, rather than having to risk repairing the transmission.

dmetalmiki

Starting in second...Not using the clutch between gears(!?) Dumping and or rushing the changes. run up to the red line...ALL and every one incorrect.
READ the manuals (any b...y) manual on gear shifting and perform that way. After all it is YOUR truck and (I reckon?) you wish to "care for it and (ALL) it's components?" So do it correctly.
Wass'a rush anyhow? Listen to my cahnges on a steep hill and never over 2000 RPMs. Hauling 28 ton!! . Love my truck take my time "sense" and apply ONLY what power is bieng accepted. (load and grade). Take time clutching (Double De-Clutching) and YES there's time! just "listen" good luck considarate and safe trucking (can show you promp! tho' lol.)success pulling tractor out - YouTube
then again per my advice. (care care care...sense sense sense.."feel")
wrecker canik hill.wmv - YouTube

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks