• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce smoking like a freight train

0311DAD

well ive had my truck for about 2 months now. the dark black smoke is steadily getting worse. its to the point that drivers behind me will back way off to stay out of my cloud.

i have had people tell me that the fuel is turned to far up or the turbo is bad. i dont know where to start. i removed the air intake to the turbo and manually spun it. felt smooth with a little end play. the vanes i could touch did have an oily film on them.

i also had the HH orings replaced, and they also bypassed the fdc, but he didnt turn up the fuel. replaced all the fuel filters too.

any ideas?

i should also state that it smokes very little at idle, and clears up when in fifth gear under no load

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good to me. Whenever you figure out what is causing that, post up so I can do that to my truck. :cool:

RIDDLE1

It is black smoke which means that it fuel related. If it was oil being burnt it would be blue smoke.

You said you had the FDC bypassed. Did you have the IP turned down afterwards? I think it is just dumping to much fuel into the engine.

I do like black smoke though!:grd:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In general, it the main fuel stop screw should be REDUCED roughly 13 flats when the FDC is bypassed.
That's what I know as well, 13 -14 flats. Very little of the threads should be let showing. Too much fuel being wasted = black smoke = high exhaust temps = turbo damage. I wouldn't leave it that way.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I followed this advice - which I believe to be correct insofar as the setting needs to be reduced - and my formerly well-running truck could no longer get out of its own way after that. I believe that an EGT gauge should be used to determine the "right" fuel setting. I adjusted accordingly after I installed EGT and boost gauge and all is well. Just counting flats from what is basically an unknown setting may not work for all situations.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see any problem if the people following you back off a little.... Plus my wife likes to see it "roll coal".

An EGT is best to figure out how much to turn up the fuel, or turn down in your case.

OverSizeHeavyHauler

Atleast now you can have the lil Powerstrokes an Cummins be jealous....LOL....Im gonna be doin an engine swap soon, and Id like to know how to rectify that problem if I have it rear its ugly head on my new one....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks