• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce spring seats VS. HEMTT spring seats

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any appreciable difference between the comfort level of a deuce spring seat (which is okay, not wonderful, but a lot better than the original box seat) and the HEMTT spring seats? They look similar, but I've heard a few guys modded them, just wondering if it's worth the effort....

sermis

I am not 100% sure my seat is from a HEMTT but I think it is. I just drove a M818 150 miles with a spring seat. My seat is a lot more comfortable than the deuce seat. I had another seat at my parts source pulled but the owner would not let me have it, he wanted it for his own project.

ida34

It has been almost 20 years since I have driven a Hemtt but I thought they were true air ride seats not spring seats. No matter what they were they really were comfortable. I remember driving about 50mph or so across the desert and the seat absorbed a lot of the bounce. I did hit my head a couple of times on the roof but that is hardly the seats fault.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have sat in, but never driven a Deuce with a HEMTT seat and it felt 100 times better. Instead of just a cushion, it actually has contours for your legs and back. if I could get a set reasonably priced, I'd definitely do it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never heard of a source for those seats, unless someone scraps a HEMTT. Anyone know of a source for a set of good used HEMTT seats?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL has a bunch in the southeast (in cabs). I got mine from Barstow Truck Parts.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darn, I notice there's an auction in GA coming up for 7 HEMTT cabs, looks like the seats are still in them. Anyone interested in a group buy? I can't store them here, but maybe if we all chip in some $$$ we can get some primo chairs for our trucks. Can anyone inspect the lot and see what we're dealing with?

sermis

They had an auction for 7 cab a few weeks ago. wonder if it is the same cabs?
I would like a bab for a project.

OD_Coyote

maddawg308 said:
Darn, I notice there's an auction in GA coming up for 7 HEMTT cabs, looks like the seats are still in them. Anyone interested in a group buy? I can't store them here, but maybe if we all chip in some $$$ we can get some primo chairs for our trucks. Can anyone inspect the lot and see what we're dealing with?

Count me in...I am on the wrong side of the country, but I would like to get a set of HEMTT seats for my rig.

dma251

I agree that hemtt seats are more comfortable, but be aware of one thing about hemtt seats - the back of the bottom cushion is the only moving part of the seat as far as suspension is concerned. You can raise/lower the seat, and you can slide it forward/back, but the actual shock-absorbing part of the seat is just the back half of the seat cushion. The front is hinged. There is a big knob on the front for spring preload/tension. The back cushion stays stationary. I believe this is because of the limited clearance in the hemtt cab behind the seat.

It seems to work well, though. Just thought you guys might like to know that.

sermis

quarkz said:
Has anyone seen the replacement set of seat covers for a hemtt seats anywhere?
I have some tent canvas and took it to an upholstery shop and had the seat recovered.

The back and bottom of the seat kind of hinge together. The back moves up and down a little with the bottom absorbing the ride.