• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce spring seats VS. HEMTT spring seats

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at the AUSA show the other day and they had some way cool Mastercraft mil seats. I was unsuccessful at getting a pair for free but did manage to get the Peltor Military division to give me some glasses to evaluate.

ida34

dma251 said:
I agree that hemtt seats are more comfortable, but be aware of one thing about hemtt seats - the back of the bottom cushion is the only moving part of the seat as far as suspension is concerned. You can raise/lower the seat, and you can slide it forward/back, but the actual shock-absorbing part of the seat is just the back half of the seat cushion. The front is hinged. There is a big knob on the front for spring preload/tension. The back cushion stays stationary. I believe this is because of the limited clearance in the hemtt cab behind the seat.

It seems to work well, though. Just thought you guys might like to know that.
Now that you mention it I do remember that. It was kind of like getting folded into a folding chair. Still comfortable and takes a lot of the bigs shocks out of your behind.

dma251

Oh, there's no doubt they are great seats. I just think a lot of people are going to see the articulating linkage underneath the seat and think that's the suspension. Truth is that is just the up/down height adjustment. The actual range of the seat is fairly small, and is only the rear section. That's why when you see a pic of them they are always tilted up (uncompressed). This must have been designed like this because the lower rear area of the hemtt cab is angled, and the seat might hit it.

Here's a pic of the finished seat assemblies I am putting in my hemtt. I had to cut apart the Bostrom air bases and reweld up the base with the correct angle to mount up right. The grey colored part of the base is what I modified and then had it sandblasted and powdercoated the same color as the interior of the truckcab.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTT...

So.......does anyone know of a source for them yet? Anyone have a set they don't need anymore? Just looking to upgrade Jayne with some decent ass-support.

andyindy

A little off subject

My M 35 A2 has a A3 seat in it, wasnt sure what it was from till seen same seat in a A3 at W.P. If I ever sell the truck( which I won't) seat will stay with me. Kind of a hiback contoured adjustable spring seat. An excellent seat, would like to find another for the other Deuce.
Andy........

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a deal on a pair of HEMTT seats for $100 shipped. But the cloth on the seats is falling apart. Can you find seat covers for these seats anywhere by themselves?

scooter01922

Sweet deal dawg. FWIW i would grab em and then have the cushions re upolstered. Any place that deals in any marine upolstery would have something that would look and wear nice. Or you can go the canvas tent route . Either way your ass support just got a major upgrade.:-D

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seats I am getting have a busted plastic crank handle up front. Can anyone with these seats already tell me any information related to the manufacturer of the seats, so I can call them and get a replacement part ordered?

yeager1

I don't mean to hijack the thread with other seat types, but I always thought a late model chevy truck seat (99+) would work good, it's got integrated 3 point belts, a center seat/center console and they are well cushioned (some are heated!); you could also add a springer/air-base since the seat is actually 3 separate sections. Not very authentic, but might work well for someone not worried about authenticity. Has anyone tried it?

snakeater

I am going to try to use the air ride seats from a Kenworth. They are small base. I measured a set today and unless my tape measure is a dirty liar, they will work just fine. Grey cloth isn't very militaristic, but it is a far sight more comfortable that the seats in my m-35 right now. I will post a pic when I get them in. Snakeater

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot to post this - these are my new HEMTT seats. Well, they are new to me. They need new cushioning and new covers, and a repaint, but for $100 for the pair, SHIPPED, I couldn't bitch too much. Will need to clean them up before Aberdeen and install for a nice SMOOOOOOOTH ride.

Attachments

OD_Coyote

Wow maddawg that is a screamin deal!!! :beer:
Make sure to let us know how you like em going down the road and post some pics of them mounted in whichever truck in your fleet that will get the honors.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok thanks. I don't have a way to weigh my items at this time so it makes it kind of hard to figure shipping. I wont no for sure till this afternoon but it looks like we got 3 of these in that are new. I was going to post one in classifieds to let yall know we had a few but I cant at this time post an ad for some reason my post buttons missing. I will try again later.