• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce startup!

Robself

Hey everyone! So I'm buying a deuce and a half from my friend pretty soon but the truck has been sitting for about 10 years and besides batteries what would i need to do to help this thing run? I'm going to go over everything like fluids and things like that but do i need to pressurize the gas tank? I would like to hear what you guys think!
Thanks

FloridaAKM

Note to add, make sure the engine is either multifuel or gasoline & look inside the tank to see if it a sludgepot or clean & empty. Keep posting what you find & we all love pictures.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring a board, a friend and common sense. Remove the air intake bonnet on the right side and station someone there with a board to block airflow in tge event of a runaway.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Shouldn't "run away" if you pull the fuel shutoff rod and make sure it moves freely prior to starting.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck has been sitting over 10 years, the fuel tank has likely got nasty stuff in it, as well as the fuel lines and filters. If it was me, I would flush out the tank and lines and change the fuel filters prior to starting. I would also change the oil and oil filters just to make sure you know what is in the crankcase. Likewise drain and refill the cooling system with new coolant, using distilled water to dilute the ethylene glycol antifreeze. After you get it started you will have a lot of PM to accomplish such as confirming lube levels in axles, TC, transmission, etc. before you drive it. You should clean your battery terminals when you install the new batteries, which you will need if it has been sitting 10 years or more.

DavidWymore

Bring a board, a friend and common sense. Remove the air intake bonnet on the right side and station someone there with a board to block airflow in tge event of a runaway.
remember, there is another air inlet on the filter housing under the hood

if everything seems right, new filters, fuel flow and pressure, etc., and she still won't run...hydraulic head

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the truck has been sitting over 10 years, the fuel tank has likely got nasty stuff in it, as well as the fuel lines and filters. If it was me, I would flush out the tank and lines and change the fuel filters prior to starting. I would also change the oil and oil filters just to make sure you know what is in the crankcase. Likewise drain and refill the cooling system with new coolant, using distilled water to dilute the ethylene glycol antifreeze. After you get it started you will have a lot of PM to accomplish such as confirming lube levels in axles, TC, transmission, etc. before you drive it. You should clean your battery terminals when you install the new batteries, which you will need if it has been sitting 10 years or more.
If its not a known runner, Check the fluids and try to start it. No need to spend all that money for nothing till you know she runs.

Just MY humble opinion.

The HUlk

Don't mean to sound like captain obvious...the following be be helpful: ether, basic tools, access to a wiring chart(should be here somewhere) & a meter, something to air up tires if needed, etc.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,no offense intended,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,been numerous "old trucks" brought back to life.....

Take your time, read the operators manual, been some good advice already freely shared. LOTS of things have been done to these vehicles, many of them unsanctioned and unauthorized. You're gonna have an adventure, so enjoy it!

OOPS, me bad!! Just saw the last pic..............that appears to be a five ton!, not a deuce!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks