• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce steering gear

rustystud

020.jpg022.jpg023.jpg027.jpg028.jpg030.jpg029.jpg

I've been on a steering gear modification project for awhile now. So I collected a bunch of steering gears. A few things I found out might interest the community here. One; there are two models of steering gears. Picture one shows them side by side. The one with the tall mounting pad is the older style. Pictures two and three show the major difference in the housings. See the sloping contour of the later model (pic 3) as compared to the sharp 90 degree angle of the older style. This contour allows more fluid in the gear box for one, and two it helps support the mounting pad by attaching to it in a lower position (pics 4 & 5) . One other difference is the amount of metal added in the later style for the side cover bolts.
Pictures 6 & 7 .

rustystud

031.jpg032.jpg012.jpg017.jpg

The second major difference I found is the "quality" of the castings between the earlier and later style housings. In pictures 1 & 2 you can see a hole in the threaded area of the casting. This will greatly diminish the strength of this mounting pad. In pictures 3 & 4 you can see inclusions in the metal that go completely through the casting. Both castings are later style housings.
In fact I only found a few later style housings that had "no" defects. All the earlier style housings where of great quality, but they had the weaker mounting pad.
I will be able to fix the housing in pictures 3 & 4 with some "epoxy" . Since this inclusion area is not in a critical strength area it should be fine. In fact all it ever did was "seep" oil there. I'm sure a lot of leaking steering gear housings is due to this poor quality of castings in the later style.
So to sum it up. If you want the stronger housing go with the later style. Just be sure to check it out thoroughly for any hidden damage.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"...fix the housings..."? Is that for a museum or what?:p

And here I thought you were going to convert to (real) power steering...?:?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty, thanks for the educational posts and pictures! I certainly didn't know this! [thumbzup] :goodjob: [thumbzup]

Last edited:

rustystud

002.jpg006.jpg009.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg

Today I will be addressing another problem I have found on several steering gears.
That is the steering stop bolts are adjusted improperly. In pictures 1 and 2 you can see damage to the steering gear housing. This is caused by the "sector shaft" (pitman arm shaft lever) hitting the housing (pic 3) . Not only does the housing take damage but the "tapered studs" which ride along the steering "cam" get damaged (pics 4, 5, and 6) . This will eventually lead to the steering cam and tapered studs becoming dangerously loose.
So how does the steering stop bolts effect this ? When people install larger tires or install the pitman arm out of phase with the sector shaft they try and compensate for the lack of turning radius by adjusting the steering stop bolts.
What they don't realize is the stop bolts are there to "protect" the steering gear.
So this is a warning to all out there who think they can get that little bit extra turning ability by tweeking the stop bolts. Your just damaging your steering gear and it will come back to bite you.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How easy do those "tapered studs" turn in that pitman arm shaft? I had mine out a long time ago to replace the bushings and it was difficult to turn. Just wondering how others are.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine (5-ton) turned very easy and smooth despite the fact that the tapered stud had much more damage than shown above.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They should turn easily by hand. If not then they are too tight and need adjusting.
I looked a long time ago but and I did not see anywhere in the TM where it calls out how to adjust them. I thought that they are directly part of that steering shaft and not meant to be serviced? I believe they had a lock ring on them as well.

rustystud

I looked a long time ago but and I did not see anywhere in the TM where it calls out how to adjust them. I thought that they are directly part of that steering shaft and not meant to be serviced? I believe they had a lock ring on them as well.
You need to look in "TM 9-8615" for all the rebuild information.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks