• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Suspension Mods

therbert

Understand and Agree.. I am looking for a smooth Street Only Truck that will not be used to haul except maybe by hitch. Bed will be removed and replaced with enclosed 4 door cab to match existing 2 door cab. Just the the SUV picture in the gallery. The picture inspired me...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
therbert said:
Understand and Agree.. I am looking for a smooth Street Only Truck that will not be used to haul except maybe by hitch. Bed will be removed and replaced with enclosed 4 door cab to match existing 2 door cab. Just the the SUV picture in the gallery. The picture inspired me...
I'd go with a air-ride cut-off from a modern truck then. You could get faster hwy. speeds (may have to upgrade engine though) if you can do without front wheel drive or you could bolt your stock axles to the air- ride on the cut-off.

hot rod deuce

Bert, I dont think there is any reason to "cross brace" the factory upper or lower links. they do not see any side to side load nor should they ever. You leaf springs take thins now and you woud need a pan hard bar to keep doing it.

Watch out for factory air ride. Most put the panhard on top of the axle. If you stick your head under the truck you will see that unless you go up this *could* be a room issue.

Some factory air ride does not use a pan hard bar, like airliner by freightliner. but this suspension is intended for little or no articulation because high way trucks need the stability. I know the airliner is plenty heav duty, our last heavy haul truck had it with NO panhard bars and we would run 70-80,000 pounds on it when we pick up the two tag axles on the quad group and turn sharp off raod on job sites. This truck also sucked as soon as you got off the road. The suspension would not let both tires have even weight, if you ran over a hump the axle would basicly go strait up and take the other wheel off the ground.

Now, our new Kenworth has Newway and full rear lockers. Even with OUT the lockers locked it will go many more places off road. The newway suspension lets things articulate. it is used in many on/off road trucks, lots of it up in canada in logging trucks. Same with Mack cammel back suspension, it may not be air but it gives articulation, thats why macks work well off road compared to a freightliner with air liner suspension.

SO what I am saying is watch out for some "factory" air ride. You may find your self stuck on a curb if you dont have enough weight to force it to flex. Also keep in mind if you get too much "flexy" suspension it will suck for sway and need sway bars. PERSONALY I am going to look hard for a light duty Newway or just start from scratch and make my own.

My stock deuce suspension works well at 70 MPH....

hot rod deuce

oh just thought, the "non-flexy" suspension might ride harder than you think because it with no weight to make it flex it may transfer bumps from both sides.... Like say a man hole on our right tire would make the left side jump also.

beaubeau

Sounds Good SgtMojor!! I've been around trucks all my life and I really didn't understand Air Ride systems until I got my 84 KW900 With Air. It road good, I could haul a gross load of 115,000LBS and the truck road level!!I sold the truck with 1,347,588 miles, and not a rattle on the truck!! It ran 90 mph and could not hear a whistle in the cab! Air suspension sure saves on the Beating Up of the Chasis and Cab! I only changed 2 air bags in all those miles! Alot easier than changing a spring!! Have a Good Year! Phil

beaubeau

One more issue about Speed, and suspension! Have u watched or driven a truck with Walking Beam Suspension?? At a speed between 45 55 Walking beams will start to Hop! Front and rear intermediet axels start to Jump and at some point the whole truck bounces up and down.Something to do with the rotation of wheels and drive train Thats one reason to keep the speed down, with a 6x6,unless you have a Honey who is BRALESS!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks