• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce swift water crossing stats.

EWhytsell

My dad served in the west virginia national guard and did a lot of work in flash flood damaged areas. Sounds like they went through a lot of tires.

bigbird189

Well despite all the warnings, I give you props for trying. You did say using your deuce as a resource. When I am stuck in a flood I would hope someone would forget about what the world thinks and saves me. Stick with your plans to help people. Sometimes the FD needs additional resources when they don't have it. Generally leave it up to them, but they are just other people like you. Good luck!

rickf

Actually,the dozer will move easier than a truck in current. The way the tracks are made the whole side of the machine is getting pounded by the water where a vehicle lets some pass underneath. Also a dozer doesn't have much traction sideways, especially on hard surface.
I will not disagree but keep in mind that a deuce does not weight 40,000 lbs. and also does not have 48 points of contact with the road, albeit steel to asphalt. I have also had a Cat 966 wheel loader moved around by water on a construction project so that may be a better comparison. When you look at a deuce from the side there is not a whole lot of open space there. As Wreckerman said, the road may wash out, and usually does, starting from the downstream side. That means you slide to that side and flip as soon as one side of the truck drops off. That drop off could be off the side of the road or in the middle of the road, if the water is a foot deep and moving fast you will not know.

Rick

preyn2

Food for thought: Flash flooding frequently clears up almost as fast as it occurred. If the victim isn't actively being swept downstream, there's frequently no need for "rescue". A "victim" who is safe and sound, high and dry, in their house on the other side of the moving water isn't actually a "victim". They're simply on the other side of the water.

Driving a vehicle into moving water is never a wise course of action.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, preyn2, I saw that during the floods of '83 in Tucson: food was helo'd in to folks on the other side of a normally dry wash, flooded from recent rains. Next morning it was dry again. We panic easy.

o1951

I am member of my town recreation department and emergency services member. We have equipment trailers to tow to various locations to set up stages, sound equipment, etc for events, and emergency services equipment to deploy in an emergency. It is an issue to reserve town vehicles, get keys and get them from storage area. Town employees resist letting others use "their" vehicle, and always find something to complain about afterwards.

Members started using their own vehicles to tow, and their own equipmentaua.
After an event, a poorly maintained trailer hitch broke, leaving trailer and personal truck stuck at night, blocking main road for a while - some near misses by drivers who would not stop.

At my insistance, we investigated insurance issue. We found - being part of a group formally approved by mayor and council, and so noted in minutes gives us insurance protection as an individual under town umbrella - this we knew, but many thought protection extended to personal vehicles and equipment while in use for town.

Our Town insurance does Not cover any personal equipment or vehicles while in use for town events. Towing vehicle and town trailer are only covered when towed by town vehicle. In most cases, your personal auto insurance will not cover towing a town trailer.

Insurer will not modify policy to cover private equipment used for town functions.

Last edited:

Heavysteven

I think is great your willing to help. However, I would never register my truck as a government resource.

There a tons of fools on YouTube driving in water.

Swiftwater kills. Don't mess with it.

Like Fireman5199, I am an Advanced Swiftwater Rescue Technician and Swiftwater Boat Operator and have been on the river rescue team at work for the past 4 years as well as a couple dive rescue teams over the years. Moving water is extremely deceptive and far more powerful than most people imagine. I pulled a early 20's healthy male body out of the river a couple weeks ago because he chose to ignore the warning signs based on his perception of the water. Many would-be rescuers also succumb to the power of water each year.

In flood situations, all bets are off. You never know what you have for a surface below. Usually manhole covers are pushed off of their holes, roadways can wash out, lawns become mud bogs, and all sorts of everyday items become deadly strainers. All flood waters should be considered hazardous to human health because sewage and other haz-mats are mixed in with the water.

Leave moving water to boats and trained experts. All too often, even the local fire departments are ill equipped to deal with water hazards and trained even less on it. Unless an area has a specific target hazard dealing with water, most fire departments rarely train on how to handle flood situations, often do not have the proper gear for working in a flood situation, have no idea how they're going to conduct rescues, or even have some basic SOGs for a situation like that.

I commend you for trying to lend a hand in your community. Many people these days wouldn't. However, for your safety and the safety of all others involved, I would offer your vehicle to the fire department's use as a support vehicle only and keep it's rubber dry. Another great way to lend support is to attend department functions with the intention of raising funds for the department such as breakfasts, dinners, BINGO, carnivals, dances, etc. A little bit extra money for the fire department there might be enough to help them buy the proper gear for water rescues or at least get some basic water rescue training.

As a professional firefighter, I still consider the most dangerous part of my job to be when I strap on a PFD and helmet and enter the water.

Flyingvan911

I agree. Stay away from moving water. Every year the Worlds of Fun theme park here in Kansas City opens up the ride "Fury of the Nile" to rescue groups to practice swift water rescues.

Blueduce

wreckerman, I unfortunately know what it is like to lose troops under your command and be helpless to do anything about it. I guess that’s why I try to help out whenever I can. Still the NCO at heart. I can't thank you fellas enough for watching my "6" on this issue. After being a GI so long sometimes it’s hard to stop thinking like Ssg Martony and start thinking like Glenn.
I only hope that I can be there for anyone of you that might need some advice, a reality check or a swift boot in the a** in the future.
This is exactly why I need this website. It gives me a feeling of belonging. Belonging to something bigger than myself. A kinship that I left back in 2009 after 12 years of service that I never thought I’d find again.
After this short laundry list of "what if's" everyone has succeeded in opening my eyes to some horrible possibilities and that I was pegging out my stupid meter. I have a beautiful wife and new born son to look after now and without my SGLI to cover them anymore the devastation is unthinkable..

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting article. Basically it seems that, against all intuition, in a civic person car it would help the car to stay put by opening the downstream door and let the water in, hence lessening the buoyant force of the vehicle. At least as long as we are talking only about a feet or a bit more of water. With high-energy flash floods of several feeds, nothing helps but KYAG.

We did help delivering water to flood victims by crossing rivers with our non-profit vehicles, but this was AFTER the actual flooding and in places were professionals had gone before us and knew where it was save to go through the river. No way we would have crossed during the actual flooding; too dangerous.

Cleptomaniac

Pray about it and do what you feel in the moment! That's what I do. Sometimes I think the right thing to do is dive in. And sometimes you have to sit back and watch. Personally I find the later the hardest. That goes for most things in life.

Thanks for the offer to help! Their are getting to be less and less people willing to. That being said helping people when their is not a major catastrophe is always something to try to do on a normal basis. I travel a bunch and actually find that giving a hiker a lift can make a boring drive a little better for both of us. I don't let my wife pick up people and I don't when my family is with me. But their is always something you can do!

jaxsof

This is exactly why I need this website. It gives me a feeling of belonging. Belonging to something bigger than myself. A kinship that I left back in 2009 after 12 years of service that I never thought I’d find again. ..

Sarg, in all honesty, I believe that is why many of us are here. I know it is why I am.

Whooa!, and (for those who understand), Sappers Forward, Sir!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks