• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tail light question

AggieBob

Greetings. I have a problem with my Deuce's tail lights, but first...
Apologies if this has been covered in an earlier post. I have spent some time looking but have not found the answer. I know that doesn't mean it's not out there, but in the interest of expediency I thought asking was better than spending another hour digging.
OK. At some point in the past, my Deuce's tail lights were changed out. Instead of the standard lights that accept five wires, I now have lights that accept only two wires. The other three are just hanging there. Is it possible to achieve the necessary lighting combinations (tail lights, brake lights, turn signals) with this arrangement? I have tail lights and break lights but I don't know if the rear turn signals ever worked. If memory serves, engaging the turn signal lever in either the left or right direction results in both lights' flashing.
Since this is not a stock tail light arrangement I assume the TMs would not be very helpful.
Thanks.
Bob

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the TMs should prove to be very helpful. Pull the assembly apart and run the wires down to see how they are connected. That will get the ball rolling.

A tip if you don't have a soldier B to watch the lights is put the rear of the truck towards windows on a building and watch in the side mirrors as you check the lights. It's how I do my pre-flight by myself.

steelandcanvas

I have tail lights and break lights but I don't know if the rear turn signals ever worked.
If you have brake lights, you should have turn signals. A turn signal is nothing but a flashing brake light on the left or right side.

Actually the TMs should prove to be very helpful. A tip if you don't have a soldier B to watch the lights is put the rear of the truck towards windows on a building and watch in the side mirrors as you check the lights. It's how I do my pre-flight by myself.
Here's another tip: For my light check, I do one walk around. Turn on your headlights and your 4-way flashers, that will check both sides, front and rear, tail and turn lights.

Diecorpse

Sounds like the same issue I have but with the stock tail light assemblies. If any of the bulb blow, or missing a bulb in the switch not complete the circuit? Otherwise Im thinkin bad switch or bad flasher(the little black box thing ma bobber) lol. I checked the tm's and I didnt find anything other than bad ground or bad switch. Maybe I missed it or I'm just not seeing it. Sorry I'm not trying to change the direction of this thread, I hope everyone finds their answer here.

AggieBob

I guess the basic question is whether anyone else has a two-wire tail light, which is what's on my Deuce. If "yes", and if turn signals work properly, how has the wiring system been modified to make that happen?

cmpman

There would be no modification. One wire is for the running light. This wire would be marked #21. The other wire is for the brake/turn signal. This wire would be marked 22-460 (right side) or 22-461 (left side). The brake switch feed goes through the turn signal switch handle before heading to the brake lights. If a turn is indicated, the switch breaks the feed to the appropriate side and instead sends an intermittent signal.

The wires not used would include #23 and #24 (blackout and blackout brakes) and the fifth wire was likely a ground (#90 I believe). The ground for the lamps is likely now accomplished by the mounting points of the lamp.

Now depending on what tail lamp was installed, you may have two bulbs in each housing, or else a single bulb with two filaments that act like two individual light bulbs.

AggieBob

Thanks, cmpman. At least I won't worry about the three "extra", exposed wires since I don't plan on running blackout lights. I'll put wire nuts on them because I don't like exposed Cu wires where they might contact the frame.
I'll have to look at my directional switch, I think, to see if that's where the problem is located. I get proper signaling at the front of the Deuce but on the rear, it's either nothing (right) or both sides (left).

cmpman

That is most likely the controller itself. The contacts inside it can burn out. Easy way to check though. On the controller, remove the amphenol plug. Pin number G, or wire number 460/461 is the power in. Make a short jumper wire with either a fuse in the middle or else through a lightbulb. This is in case you find a short circuit. Now run that jumper, one at a time to pins a (wire number 460, front right turn signal), b (461, front left turn signal), c (22-461 left rear turn signal/brake light) and e (22-460 right rear turn signal brake). As you jump each one, the appropriate light should come on. If they don't, then you either have an open in the wiring to that corner, or a burnt out bulb.

If all four corners check out OK, then the problem is the controller arm. They are generally non-repairable. Yes, you can open them and clean the contacts, but it may not be reliable in the long term.

The numbers I have given are generic to pretty much all SMP vehicles. I am assuming you have the solid state flasher with the plastic olive green controller type system.

When we used to do this kind of work in the army, we would use a M-series headlight. one wire for the jumper would be from either 17 or 18, and the other wire for the jumper would be number 91. If we found a short circuit, the headlamp would light up fully. Once you found or disturbed the short, the light would go out.

Last edited: