• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce that is slow to start.

spencer p

we run 3 deuces for brush trucks that are totaly refurbished. they do require yearly repairs but have served us well. If you are having a problem with the truck and the time it takes to start you could have several issues. as mentioned before the fuel pump in the tank could be bad or the fuse is blown (under the little square cover on top of the fuel tank) not allowing it to run. always check or replace the fuel filters. any small leak on the fuel lines or the pump will allow a small amount of bleed back or introduction of air into the system. this even includes the leak off lines on the top of the injectors. try starting the truck on a daily basis to see if that helps. It might tell you if you have a bleed back issue or air leaking into the system somehow. Another problem we have had was one truck had injectors that were weak, when you cranked the truck it took forever to fire. replaced the injectors, bump the starter now, and she runs. Another truck had a similar problem and a small turn of the fuel screw made a large difference in how it starts. But refer to previous threads on how to do that before you do it!!! And on a closing note JOHN- I dont think he was looking for a lecture on weather or not he should be using a deuce for a brush truck. I am from central kansas and I can tell you Ks. Tx. and Ok. use a lot of deuces on volunteer departments. some are privately owned and some are provided by the states forest service for departments that dont have a monster budget to work with. A prorerly maintained and refurbished deuce is a safe vehicle for fire fighting. a baffled tank, remote mounted nozzle and common sense will get you out there and back just fine. our deuce's will fight fire better than any dually 1 ton brush truck parade truck any day, just ask the neighboring full time department which has 2 parade trucks-oh sorry 1 ton dually brush truck. (yes we work well together on mutal aid) So get a taller soap box so all of the departments can hear you! I see alot more wrecked fire trucks built by appuratus manufactures on firefighter close calls. com every day of the week, from full time departments and im sure they have had driver operator class!!! (took the class,being able to drive between some cones doesnt make you a big boy behind the wheel.Your post was not helpful in any way to the problem at hand.:roll:EAST SIDE VFD- let us know what you find.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With just the intank pump running you should see 5-7 lb at an installed low scale pressure gage on to of the second and final filter bank. Anything else is wrong.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
we run 3 deuces for brush trucks that are totaly refurbished. they do require yearly repairs but have served us well. If you are having a problem with the truck and the time it takes to start you could have several issues. as mentioned before the fuel pump in the tank could be bad or the fuse is blown (under the little square cover on top of the fuel tank) not allowing it to run. always check or replace the fuel filters. any small leak on the fuel lines or the pump will allow a small amount of bleed back or introduction of air into the system. this even includes the leak off lines on the top of the injectors. try starting the truck on a daily basis to see if that helps. It might tell you if you have a bleed back issue or air leaking into the system somehow. Another problem we have had was one truck had injectors that were weak, when you cranked the truck it took forever to fire. replaced the injectors, bump the starter now, and she runs. Another truck had a similar problem and a small turn of the fuel screw made a large difference in how it starts. But refer to previous threads on how to do that before you do it!!! And on a closing note JOHN- I dont think he was looking for a lecture on weather or not he should be using a deuce for a brush truck. I am from central kansas and I can tell you Ks. Tx. and Ok. use a lot of deuces on volunteer departments. some are privately owned and some are provided by the states forest service for departments that dont have a monster budget to work with. A prorerly maintained and refurbished deuce is a safe vehicle for fire fighting. a baffled tank, remote mounted nozzle and common sense will get you out there and back just fine. our deuce's will fight fire better than any dually 1 ton brush truck parade truck any day, just ask the neighboring full time department which has 2 parade trucks-oh sorry 1 ton dually brush truck. (yes we work well together on mutal aid) So get a taller soap box so all of the departments can hear you! I see alot more wrecked fire trucks built by appuratus manufactures on firefighter close calls. com every day of the week, from full time departments and im sure they have had driver operator class!!! (took the class,being able to drive between some cones doesnt make you a big boy behind the wheel.Your post was not helpful in any way to the problem at hand.:roll:EAST SIDE VFD- let us know what you find.
Spencer, if the guy doesn't know that the buzzer is for low air, HE SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING THE TRUCK!!! Especially as an emergency vehicle. He obviously has not had enough training, and most likely the rest of the firefighters haven't either.
I didn't say he should not be using a deuce for firefighting. If you're not trained to drive ANY emergency truck, you shouldn't be driving it period. I simply gave him a justification if they wanted to, or could buy a newer truck. You completely missed the point. If it works for them, or that's all they can afford, then fine. But that doesn't excuse the need for drivers training.
And maybe the reason that you see more wrecks involving full time departments is that they put more miles on their trucks, it's the law of averages thing. And no, a lot of full time departments don't have very good training. (Ever hear about the 9 Charleston firefighters that died in the sofa store fire?) My full time station takes more runs in a week than the VFD one does in a year.
If my post persuades that guy to get his department to train their drivers, I'd say it was a VERY helpful post. I'm not on a "soapbox", I'm trying to help a brother firefighter not have a tragic accident.

pwrwagonfire

some are privately owned and some are provided by the states forest service for departments that dont have a monster budget to work with. A prorerly maintained and refurbished deuce is a safe vehicle for fire fighting. a baffled tank, remote mounted nozzle and common sense will get you out there and back just fine. our deuce's will fight fire better than any dually 1 ton brush truck parade truck any day, just ask the neighboring full time department which has 2 parade trucks-oh sorry 1 ton dually brush truck. (yes we work well together on mutal aid)

Spencer, if the guy doesn't know that the buzzer is for low air, HE SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING THE TRUCK!!! Especially as an emergency vehicle. He obviously has not had enough training, and most likely the rest of the firefighters haven't either.
I didn't say he should not be using a deuce for firefighting. If you're not trained to drive ANY emergency truck, you shouldn't be driving it period. I simply gave him a justification if they wanted to, or could buy a newer truck. You completely missed the point. If it works for them, or that's all they can afford, then fine. But that doesn't excuse the need for drivers training.
And maybe the reason that you see more wrecks involving full time departments is that they put more miles on their trucks, it's the law of averages thing. And no, a lot of full time departments don't have very good training. (Ever hear about the 9 Charleston firefighters that died in the sofa store fire?) My full time station takes more runs in a week than the VFD one does in a year.
If my post persuades that guy to get his department to train their drivers, I'd say it was a VERY helpful post. I'm not on a "soapbox", I'm trying to help a brother firefighter not have a tragic accident.

BOTH good points gentlemen. As a fellow full time (albeit seasonal) firefighter I can honestly say, it dosen't hurt ANYBODY (even seasoned guys) to participate in regular driver training. Training and familiarity with a peice of apparatus for the entire crew can make the difference in a run with the truck. A few years ago in fact, the entire 4 man crew of an M35A2 perished in a range fire due to lack of interagency communication, and experience of the crew with the engine.
Deuces make excellant firefighting vehicles, but they can also be deadly (AS CAN any other peice of heavy equipment). It is important to know your vehicle before you are to be responsible for responding in it. However, we don't really know what the OP knows about driving....he could be the best engine operator in the world, and just didn't know that one peice of information about the buzzer...now he does.

Stay safe guys, stay alert, and stay cool

Last edited: