• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tire Breakdown Assistance

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, I've got my butt handed to me today breaking down deuce tires. I have an Esco bead breaker and breaking the beads is no problem. The problem that has kicked my behind royally is getting the stupid tire over the lip where the ring seats. I got one over it but the one I'm working on now has defeated me for the last hour. Is there a method or secret to getting the tire past that damn lip? I'm furious about this defeat.
Thanks!

ida34

Are you lubing it up with soapy water? I can't offer any better advice than lube it with soapy water. I have not broken one all the way down since I was in the Army so that was a while ago.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I fought and fought with mine and I finally gave up and to work and broke it down with our tire machine. Wish I had some advice.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just got done with 2 more, ring off, flip tire over break bead, lift rim out....Kenny I need a pic.....

nopics

Sorry had to do it....;)

Is there alot of rust on these rims?

I broke down two today and it took all day and i also had the same problem , also very tierd and wore out my age is showing . The deuce tires are hard work. sorry i cant help haveing 2 peaple would have helped me.
Kennth

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rims are very nice. I'll have to get a pic in the AM. I'm trying to pull the tire off the rim while the tire is standing up. Should I leave it flat on the ground and lift the rim out of the tire?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Deuce Tire Breakdown Assistance

Recovry4x4 said:
The rims are very nice. I'll have to get a pic in the AM. I'm trying to pull the tire off the rim while the tire is standing up. Should I leave it flat on the ground and lift the rim out of the tire?

Yes,
I removed the ring, flip the tire over flat on the ground and lift the rim out, the only tricky thing is the valve stem, you need to hold it out horizontally as you lift the rim out.

DavidB

Break both beads, remove ring and stand upright with valve at six o'clock use foot to kick rim out away from you, top first.Lots of soap all around is what I do.Take a break frustration does not make any easier.Good luck!
DavidB

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Deuce Tire Breakdown Assistance

It got dark on me, I was frustrated and smashed the feces out of my thumb to boot. I'll try again in the morning with some new ideas and a better attitude. Thanks for all the pointers gang.

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce Tire Breakdown Assistance

Recovry4x4 said:
It got dark on me, I was frustrated and smashed the feces out of my thumb to boot. I'll try again in the morning with some new ideas and a better attitude. Thanks for all the pointers gang.
Need picture of thumb. :lol:

beaubeau

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce Tire Breakdown Assistance

OK, after removing ring, breaking the bead on other side of rim . place a 6-8inch square block about the span of the rim, lay rim down on block and let gravity drop tire off rim. Just guide the Valve stem as tire comes off the rim. Most inportant part is to be sure Bead is completely loose and free. Good luck, Phil

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks Phil, that sounds very doable. I have a nice block just perfect for the job.

Alredneck

Banned

hey kenny sorry to hear about the troubles lubing it up real good helps i used wd40 then used a pick n matock (matock side of course ) to break our beads when we dont have the proper tools but we always have a pioneer rack with tools handy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have many cans of silicone spray I used to use when roping in glass. I'm going to try this first as it makes rubber very slippery. Thanks Captain

beaubeau

Recovery4x4 I am old and Slow,I beleive u can use the wood blocks on Tire Side, and let the wheel drop strait dow. Keeping everything even and strait helps so tire does not Bind as it comes off. Good luck, Phil

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Kenny, wish you had called, I was at Ft.Knox not near a pc.

jasonjc

Put a big block of wood (short R/R tie) on the floor and drop the tire/wheel on it the wheel will stop on the block and the tire will/should stop on the floor. This is the way my tire guy does it. I also do it that way or like was said above and kinda kick it out. Maybe crane truck should of shot a vid of his when I changed out his tires.