• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tire Chains

coyotegray

Does anyone know what TM has info on chaining up a Deuce..?

Also, anyone with first hand experience with chaining up a Deuce, what works and what doesn’t..?

Thanks,
Andy.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out the operator's TMs on several vehicles and add up the information. :)
The PS magazine has info too.
Remember not to air down, use hwy tire pressure or you'll damage the tires.
I like to drape the chains over the tires and then move forward a little although the TMs may suggest to place the chains on the ground first and then drive over them (not so easy when the axles are close together).
Takes me about 20 minutes for the singled out deuce. Use rubber cords for tensioning...

Attachments

Earth

Like Bjorn said, drape them over the top, clip them, drive forward, take up the slack and re-clip, put on the bungee cords, done. If you drive over them you will swear a lot and take a long time to get it done.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can say chains make me feel unstoppable when I put them on my M-37. They work well on snow, ice, and mud. The nice thing is they do not load up in mud like tire treads do, maintaining their driving ability.
I have a set for my M543A2 wrecker, but have not yet had to use them. A retiring trucker gave them to us.
Regards Marti

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chains make progress possible when "airing down", single tires, tread styles, fat tires, just make progress hopeful. Always use three railers on duals.

When installing on duals, fold the three railers in half long ways. Lay them across the outside dual, and fold them over onto the inside tire, with the center, in the middle of the tire. I have made a hook out of 3/8" round stock, triangle handle one end, hook on the other, about 3' long. Use it to reach between the duals to fish the end through, to hook up. The only way easier is to use a bottle jack and lift the axle. That is best. But it takes forethought. Which suggests that installation of chains is far more pleasant if you put them on before you have to dig down to the tires with a shovel. Its also far easier on the truck, if you chain up and just drive through the rough spots, rather then horsing the vehicle back and forth.

Lee in Alaska

gsomersjr

Always seemed to be raining or snowing when we left the hard road and stopped to chain up in Germany. We were frozen by the time we were finished but hey, at least I had an unheated canvas-topped deuce cab to get back into. Don't miss chains at all.

NorthWoodsDuce

I have a 30 ton air bottle jack that I keep with me, along with some wood chunks and metal. If/when I chain up I do it on the road before I head into the field where I will need the chains. Or before I hit road where chains are needed. Makes life a lot easier if you can jack up one tire at a time and chain it up. Might take longer, but I cut down on my cussing after buying the jack!

when you get the dual chains laid out on the tires and move the truck if you go to far and the chain slides off it is easer to start over then to try to pull the chain up over the tires . hook the middle first then the inside and last the outside .

nnero

Is it better to put chains on just one rear axle or both? We dont need them on the front, but some extra traction in the rear would be nice, especially when the bed is empty, like it always is on one half of a trip? Where is a good place to get chains for a deuce?

IMA944T

Has anybody used signle chains on each rear tire? Is it ok to use them on only one rear axle or best on truck to use them on both rear axles?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chains on the steering axle is real important - it gives you the ability to steer. If its really slippery, and your loaded/chained on the rear, often the truck will just go straight, even though you turn the wheel.

Chaining only the outside dual wheel works right up to the time that you need some traction - then you spin out big time. The inside dual (without the chain), will hold up the outside chained tire from getting a new bite. The outside spins/digs out under itself, and the inside tire holds it up in the air. Always chain up all tires on a rear axle!

Putting two "single" chains on a pair of duals, while not impossible, is tough. Usually, there isn't enough room between the two tires to get them hooked up correctly. If you have the singles, make "Three railers", out of two singles. I have done that out in a parking lot. You can do it with several big screwdrivers/cold chisels, and a hammer. However the regular tire chain, multi tool makes short work of the job. Just lay them out on the ground next to each other & go after it. Some three railers just use a hook for the middle chain. I hook that one first-removing them, unhook the inside first, then the middle & outside last.

Lee in ALaska

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, you can just use them on one rear axle, if your sure that is all you will need. I put them on the front driver so it roughs up the traction for the rear driver. If your just on ice, flat ground, you can get away with that. To be safe, put a single chain on one steering tire, and one single chain on the rear most trailer axle. That will give you steering and keep your trailer going straight behind you.

Lee in Alaska

wdwjr

I was tought to chain up to front drive wheels and the first drive rear leave the back drive rear un chained this way if the truck gets to spinnig and hits a stable piece of ground you don't clean your ring gear or blow your planetary gears.

Mark2X2

I spent two years chaining a M817, 5 ton dump up every winter night after using the truck. We chained the front and out side duel on the intermediate axles. By myself I could chain my truck quicker than any squad in the company. The quickest way is to drape the chains over the tire, so the connectors just above the ground. Straighten them up, make sure there untangled, pull ahead connect the links, install the tensioners, your good to go.

Also put each chain in it's own bag so it dosen't get twisted up and dedicate each chain to a tire. I live where it's cold and snows, and have chained skidders, farm tractors, dump trucks, pick-ups, ATV's, wheel loaders and graders. The bigger chains, we use a chain with a couple hooks. You have to lay them out flat, hook the side chains and drape over the lug and back them on.

tm america

i've never used tire chains i'd like to see some pics or videos of what they can get you through vs going with bigger better tires that are aired down:?:only people i know of that use chains are the otr truckers .never seen anyone use them on a mud truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks