• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tire configuration

sn8ke8

if u look at my avatar, i purchased this truck from gl and was wondering if anyone knows why the rear tires are singles, and is it safe to assume the hubs are flipped? I'm awaiting euc approval so all i have is the pic from the auction, any help would be appreciated

Flyingvan911

Maybe it was driven mostly on the road so they singled it out to save gas and tires. Maybe it carried a light load most of the time? It's anyone's guess. I have no idea on the hubs. I saw one at Fort Riley singled like that when I picked up my deuce.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some deuces got that treatment during the 1980's, ie single tube type radials using the stock rims on flipped rear hubs. Looks a little tippy from the rear.

LanceRobson

Hubs looked flipped to me.
GL must have had a shortage of the 9.00 20's so they flipped & singled it out!
GL won't fix a flat tire so I highly doubt they flipped any hub at any time any where.

If the rears are tracking almost in line with the fronts, they have likely been flipped. If they are significantly narrower in track-they haven't.

From the avatar I can't tell what size the tires are but six 9.00-20s will carry more weight than a fully loaded deuce weighs.

11.00-20s and 11.00R20s will carry a lot more weight than that, especially the 11.00R20s. Single 11.00R20 XLs will carry 10,400 pounds per axle at 70 PSI and 14,780 per axle at 120 PSI. Change them to duals and the axles will carry 19,960 and 27,120 at those pressures.

The M35 deuces descended from the M34s which are the same truck with single 11.00-20 tires, the hubs flipped and a wheel cut-out in the bed. The three big reasons why the switch was made to dual 9.00-20s were: The desire to lower the truck height back at a time when they were shipped overseas as hold cargo, not on roll on-roll off ships. To get rid of the wheel cut-outs to increase cargo space. And because in the days before we had the forward maintenance support ability we have today the dual tires gave a total of five possible spare tires with the vehicle remaining mission capable.

Safety standards have changed but "back in the day" if your spare was already flat or was missing you used one of the outer duals for a spare. Trucks like the M920 continue with something similar today. They don't carry a spare. If you get a flat you take a tire off of the pusher axle and use that.

If you dig deep enough with the search feature I know there have been threads referencing the wheel track measurements of a deuce with and without the hubs flipped. If you can't find that, let me know and I'll measure the track on my singled truck with flipped hubs.

Lance

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks