• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce to half track conversion?

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
obviously deuce and a halfs are all quite popular for conversions and modification to different configurations but has anyone at anytime contemplated or even better still completed a conversion of one to a half track? Not that I am planning to do such a conversion myself since I do not have the means or technical knowledge to but I am left with the belief that it would be possible although difficult and spendy to accomplish yet once done would be one incredible rig!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it wold not be all that easy. Matching gear ratios to the front axle would be just one of the challenges. Putting tracks on the rear tires similar to the tracks for skid steer loaders would be relatively easy, and you could go back and forth.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Back in 97, I saw a Israeli 1/2 track at the military museum at the Paso Robles Ca. airport, this 1/2 track had a deuce cab along with the cab armor and a deuce cargo bed, missing the engine which was a 6v53, also missing the trans, had a deuce transfer case, it had the kicked up frame of a 1/2 track, had a hard mounted rear axle just behind the kick up, the boggies, drive, and idler look like the WW2 1/2 stuff, the track looked strange, all metal-no rubber, with a open track pad with chevron shaped grousers, the track was LINKED not a band, the track looked like it would be used in/on a very hard or abrasive surface.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently did an internet search and found a company that sells tracks that fit over the deuce rear tires, making the deuce an effective tracked vehicle. It eliminates the gear ratio concern, however it raises a new concern about finance.

The system is three times what I paid for my trucks.

Rick

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well call this one of the planets worst attempts at photoshopping two images together but anyway, here is a set of tracks from an M3 half track on an M54 chassis. I know the tracks should be a bit smaller for perfect scale but the image is done so I am posting it as is. I would certainly say pretty darned awesome if someone ever did it!

9641225950_b96b19c284_o.jpg

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
well call this one of the planets worst attempts at photoshopping two images together but anyway, here is a set of tracks from an M3 half track on an M54 chassis. I know the tracks should be a bit smaller for perfect scale but the image is done so I am posting it as is. I would certainly say pretty darned awesome if someone ever did it!View attachment 448747
The Israelis did

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
At the time I was not SSer so there was no need for pics, now I wished I had taken some.

Try looking up Israeli 1/2 tracks, they still use them.

tbone1004

I've never really understood the point of half tracks, but building one would certainly pose some interesting problems. I don't think the gear ratio problem would really be all that difficult to overcome, and to easily but questionably do it, you could disconnect the drive shaft and remove the axle shafts from the rearmost hubs. I guess the real question is why on earth would you want to other than "because I can"

caliber1

Do you have a link or anything for that company? Not that I could afford it, just wanted to see what it looked like.
I recently did an internet search and found a company that sells tracks that fit over the deuce rear tires, making the deuce an effective tracked vehicle. It eliminates the gear ratio concern, however it raises a new concern about finance.

The system is three times what I paid for my trucks.

Rick

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never really understood the point of half tracks, but building one would certainly pose some interesting problems. I don't think the gear ratio problem would really be all that difficult to overcome, and to easily but questionably do it, you could disconnect the drive shaft and remove the axle shafts from the rearmost hubs. I guess the real question is why on earth would you want to other than "because I can"
I believe any half track was basically a tracked truck for traction purposes for travel across combat terrain. To carry the infantry before there were APC's so to speak and of course were modified for just about any configuration possible to carry different weapons from howitzers to AAA. Of course, in Nam they didn't have them so that is where the "Gun Trucks" became common, but those were mostly to defend truck convoys on roads so they didn't need tracks.

I would think a conversion using an existing axle could take place for the drive but it would be extremely extensive and require one **** of a shop and large bucket of funds, but if done right the end result would indeed be the conversation piece of any military truck meet!

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's another attempt at a photoshopped conceptual interpretation that I think is a bit more in proper proportion

9642060184_e44e247551.jpg

if you were really good a fabricating work, I think you could reuse much of the original rear suspension to support the bogies.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

Since you are only in 6x6 on rough/slippery surfaces anyway, the gear ratio issue becomes a non-issue. The difference between a tire with and without a thin track is minimal.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Since you are only in 6x6 on rough/slippery surfaces anyway, the gear ratio issue becomes a non-issue. The difference between a tire with and without a thin track is minimal.
I see you've never driven a heavy vehicle with mismatched gears or tires before? I had 14.00's up front on my 931 before I started converting it. 11.00r20's in the rear. I was trying to back up my 871 trailer with a little mud. I had to turn as well. Makes for very difficult maneuvering. Also the drivetrain bound up. A sprag t-case probably would give a little more. But I'm not sure how well it'd stand up to that long term.

I know Ron mixed tires on his 819 and it didn't work out well. And that difference was minimal. A 9.00 front tire (41") vs basically a 20" rim is VASTLY different.

Heath_h49008

I see you've never driven a heavy vehicle with mismatched gears or tires before? I had 14.00's up front on my 931 before I started converting it. 11.00r20's in the rear. I was trying to back up my 871 trailer with a little mud. I had to turn as well. Makes for very difficult maneuvering. Also the drivetrain bound up. A sprag t-case probably would give a little more. But I'm not sure how well it'd stand up to that long term.

I know Ron mixed tires on his 819 and it didn't work out well. And that difference was minimal. A 9.00 front tire (41") vs basically a 20" rim is VASTLY different.
We're talking apples and oranges.

I'm talking about the over-tire tracks, not the original M3 style with the little drive gear.

The difference, would be more like 41" on the front and 42.5" on the rear. (If the track is say, 3/4" thick)

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There wouldn't be any issue though if one used an existing Rockwell axle to drive the tracks even if one found a set of bogies and idler wheel from an old M2 or M3. I will look up how the rear drive axle was mounted to the frame on a WWII vintage half track but believe the same set up would be applicable to an M35 truck? Now much room for a rear driveshaft I know but I still think would likely need a different fuel tank but that's easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks