• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce to the Scrap Heap

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um...
Drop a suburban body onto the deuce frame? Or better yet, use the 6x6 deuces as an off road mud truck! imagine that! :roll:

I really hate when guys totally cut up good trucks. There are tons of rears out there from all the bobbers. A front wouldn't be too hard to get either.

If I had them, I would trade in a heartbeat. :wink:

KaiserM109

Has he looked at the t-case? I would think it would be way too big for a Suburban. I sure it's a sprag …
That’s a real good point. Perhaps some other divorced transfer would be better.
Aw man,Why couldn't that be closer.I would pull a the axles off my parts deuce and trade for that one!Would love to have a gasser deuce!
Dang, If that is in Junction maybe we can save it. Brother lives there and has three deuces.
He’s open to suggestion, but I think he is going to want more than it’s worth. He mentioned $600 wo/axles. It’s probably possible to get it roadworthy, if you are up for a great adventure.

KaiserM109

If the engine turned out to be decent, it might make a good bobbed deuce. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you get a good turbocharged multifuel deuce (M35 or M109) through GL for around $2K plus the cost of fetching it?

A recent issue of an off-road mag had a '60 Willys wagon with Rockwells under it. Another had an M715 with 2 front Rockwells and duel steering under it and a big V8 diesel up front. That one really looked good!

Is there anyone in Colorado or Utah with a pair of Rockwells for sale cheap?

FreightTrain

Banned
oh,He might want to also consider that the axles will be the Much HATED Balljoint type instead of the U joint type everyone uses.....He might want to sell that truck to someone and get another with the good axle shafts.......

frodobaggins

If the engine turned out to be decent, it might make a good bobbed deuce. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you get a good turbocharged multifuel deuce (M35 or M109) through GL for around $2K plus the cost of fetching it?

A recent issue of an off-road mag had a '60 Willys wagon with Rockwells under it. Another had an M715 with 2 front Rockwells and duel steering under it and a big V8 diesel up front. That one really looked good!

Is there anyone in Colorado or Utah with a pair of Rockwells for sale cheap?
What mag, I'd love to see that.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big truck biulders use the 2 1/2 ton T case all the time. They are not too big when you are biulding a truck that tall.
Do they use an air-shift or a sprag? Sprag t-cases can be tempeamental and problematic if not adjusted properly and if you use an air shift you going to have to come up with some sort of air supply to engage it. I would think there would be better t-cases around to put in a mud truck. The bottom line is if you're breaking NP205 cases the deuce axles ain't going to hold up either.

unclemikey

Wish my yard was not full, I am only about 100 mile away. But here is a thought to maybe save the truck. In place of rockwells, consider the 2.5 Ton GM axles from an M-135, M-211. For a superburban they will bolt right in with very little mods. I did that to my old 82 a few years ago. Looks cool, I would not like to go airborne with it, but for off/on road, it was a breeze.

FreightTrain

Banned
No,How about this.Instead of distroying a valuable peice of American History to build a redneck rig that will only last about a year,Buy some common DANA 60s from a junk yard and build you a rig?