• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce to trailer conversion

redthegreendog

Not sure were to put this but did any one see the M35 converted to a trailer on ebay a wile back or know any one who has done one. I have a parts truck with a bad motor that im thinking of making one out of.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For all practical purposes, a deuce bed on an M200 trailer would be perfect. I think after that, a 105 frame would be good too. I like the 200 better for the duals and load rating.

TaylorTradingCo

Deuce trailer

Here are some pics of mine. I used it to carry Deuce parts to rallies. I used a M105 front end. The spare tire makes a great step for climbing up into the trailer, so great that I added another on the passengers side. One thing I learned from experience at the GA rally, add a jack leg on the back. I had a bunch of HEMTT rims on there and scooted them all to the rear so they could be seen and it flipped up in the air! We were very lucky noone got hurt. I have since added the rear leg off of a M105.

I am about to make en even cooler one. I just picked up an expansible semi-trailer. I already had an M36A2 truck. I am going to put the expansible trailer on my M36A2 and then take my 17' cargo bed with the drop side on it and convert another dead Deuce into a super trailer. There is plenty of frame up front where the cab used to be. Has anyone else ever done this?

My original trailer is for sale if anyone wants it. I will take $1250 for it.

Derek Taylor
Taylor Trading Co.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am considering doing the same thing.....my variation will be to use M105 axles (I have two) in place of the live deuce axles to cut down on weight.

Another good use of a leftover deuce bed it to mount it on a Bolster Trailer. I have a dropside bed mounted on one and it is great. I just hauled a huge load of metal "C" purlins on it behind the M915. Since the lenght is adjustable you can use the back of the bolster as extra cargo space or mount a long bed body on it.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
curse you guys and your sweet looking trailers...what am i a addict to trailers?
It appears that you are not the only trailer addict on this site! :twisted:

What else can a person own, besides a trailer, that will follow you wherever you go, not eat you out of house and home, and not talk back?

Last edited:

ALFA2

TaylorTradingCo, this is a really neat idea, and the one you have the pics of looks like it was meant to be made that way. Did you leave the gear sets in, or did you remove those ?
Also how did you title it, Home built, or M105 type trailer?

Thanks.

ALFA2

TaylorTradingCo

It does currently still have the axles and chunks in it, but I do plan on removing them to use as spare parts and to remove weight and to free up movement. It pulls great and tracks pretty much in line with the truck. Since the tires interchange, you have tons of spares.

I have never titled anything military, but would do it as a homemade trailer if I ever do.

You would think the height would be perfect, but I had to flip the lunet and it still lacks just a little reaching the ground. I carry a rough cut 2x board to set under the wheel and it works out just fine. All of the semi-trailers come with boards to go under the landing gear anyway, so it doesn't seem odd to have to have one here.

I also used the wiring harness from the front of a donor M105 so the plug matches right up.

I have not fooled with the brakes, but you could pull the air system from the M105 and make them work too.

I have several sets of M105 air tanks and valves if anyone needs them.

Derek Taylor

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
TaylorTradingCo, do you have any close up pics of how/where you cut both the 105 tongue and the deuce frame? yours looks cleaner than some i've seen and i need to do the same for my m109 camper, thanks. Greendog, sorry for the hijack.

redthegreendog

Went and picked up the M105 Parts for the start of my trailer conversion from TaylorTradingCo
today. Good trip to his new location. Looked at the trailer he built :grin: and got some good info for my build. Looks like I've got a good start to a great spring project. [thumbzup]

TaylorTradingCo

On the M105 I cut the welds loose and it slid out of the frame. That way it will slide up in the truck frame and give you more welding surface area.

Get redthegreen dog to take a picture of the M105 tongue he got from me today and it should be abundantly clear.

I don't remember much about where we cut the truck frame down to, it seems like there was a cross member in there somewhere and we cut it so that the trailer tongue could slide in all the way to it.

Derek Taylor

TaylorTradingCo

BFR,

I have tons of Deuce parts from trucks we have parted out, about half a dozen motors pulled and various project trucks.

Come and see me in Ringgold, GA.

Derek Taylor
423-255-6509
Taylor Trading Co.

Stan Leschert

I saw a Canadian one, where an M-135, was turned into a trailer for another M-135. I have no idea where they found the power to tow that beast. It looked real cool, but how that 302 pulled it is beyond me!
Sorry, the pics expired when the For-Sale Ad did.
If it was closer and had a winch, I would have bid.