• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tow bar question

paulfarber

I'm pretty sure we had the towbar between a running and a towed deuce set up properly, yet whenever the towing M35 turned, the towed M35 countersteered and nearly ripped the tires off the rims.

For example, turned right, towed M35 countersteered left (fully to the left) and drug the front end of the towed M35 around. Once it was going somewhat straight, everything lined back up.

We checked the TM we had and it refered to a para 4-26C which we could not find.

Any idea what was going on and how to correct it??? Tansfer and tranny were in neutral, brake off.... what did we miss????

T

televisionman007

sounds like what happens when u r going down a dirt road. Ive towed a few dueces and a 5 ton and well u gotta have tow bar all the way in and u cant make 90 degree turns but she will track with other vehicle except on dirt or grass or anything soft. Hope this helps

T

televisionman007

ive never tied the wheel unless im on dirt then i have some one steering

poppop

You did nothing wrong, Dueces do not like to be towed. I tow mine to the Ga Rally but someone has to steer it until I get on pavement. Get off on dirt or loose gravel and you have had it. I did take it real slow with no sharp turns when I arrived this year and it made it OK. Some people tie the steering wheel and drag it around turns.

mikey

We were on pavement. However, front tire pressure was probably a bit on the low side. The towbar was all the way in. We did make pretty sharp turns because we had no choice.

When I turned left and saw the front left tire of the towed vehicle I thought for sure that split ring was about to explode. We then stopped and gave up the whole idea of towing.

T

televisionman007

i didnt mention tire pressure cuz thats a give in. its best to use a 5 ton to tow the dueces

poppop

Yes tires need to be tight. I tow mine with a 5 ton. Coming home from the rally the left front tire blew. Made quite a scene at 52 miles per hour on the inter-state. I was really glad I had a heavy truck towing. I felt it and the five ton veered but I was able to correct and bring it to a safe stop. Covered the interstate with smoke and tire pieces. A trucker who was behind me stopped to help and his first comment was "I bet that got the old heart pumping".

paulfarber

I had to ask! It was killing me that we could not figure it out.

We simply could not get that towed truck to turn. Even with a driver in the 2nd cab it was a biatch to steer.

Trucks are fine, btw.

My coonhoud barked at them all day. I should honk the horn next time she starts to sing to it..

goodguyzy

i flat tow every now and again, good on pavement, but have someone steer on dirt. I also have the transfer case in neutral. Speaking of towing, this weekend ill pull the bobbed deuce with the M35A3.

stumps

If your front end is toed out, or the caster is wrong, the truck will go every which way but straight. Also, NDT tires tow fairly well, big wide mud tires not so much so.

-Chuck

mcmullag

no sharp turns is the key?

I flat towed mine a couple months back and to get it out of a tight parking spot and out the yard gate where it was sitting with other vehicles, we had to make a sharp turn. It did what you said, tires turned opposite way we wanted to go. Once we got out on the street it did great and pulled along for about 8 miles no problem. My buddy towed it with the pintle hitch on his Kenworth tractor. He is used to making wide turns and taking his time moving slowly around the city so that probably made for smooth operation.
just putting the info out there in case it helps.

One thing to keep in mind if you are towing a deuce is the weight limits many class C driver's licences have. In NC you are not allowed to tow anything greater then 10,000 lbs. Since an A2 is 13K and the A3 is 14K, you could get a ticket. Don't know about a.bobber, must be real close to 10K.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If I am not going to make a lot of sharp turns I tie the wheel but give it a little slack for slight turns.

Using a couple of heavy rubber tarp straps seems to give it plenty of play but doesn't allow it to turn far enough to get the wheels cattywhaumpus (yes...that is an official redneck term).

Your milage may vary.

Wolfen

If I am not going to make a lot of sharp turns I tie the wheel but give it a little slack for slight turns.

Using a couple of heavy rubber tarp straps seems to give it plenty of play but doesn't allow it to turn far enough to get the wheels cattywhaumpus (yes...that is an official redneck term).

Your milage may vary.
Now that, is a Word I haven't Heard in a long Time wreckerman893.

JDToumanian

If your front end is toed out, or the caster is wrong, the truck will go every which way but straight.
I've towed three different deuces with my deuce and tow bar. Two of them I had no problem, I even backed up once (with a friend in the cab just in case), and sharp turns were no problem either. The third deuce just would not turn. I quickly got used to starting the turn, and then stopping, getting out and cranking the towed deuce's wheel all the way in the direction I was turning, before completing the turn. Sometimes I would have to stop and straighten the wheel after turning, the tires wanted to drag sideways. So like Chuck said, it's gotta be some subtle difference in front end adjustment.

Jon

emr

I towed deuce with deuce for a few trips of up to 400 miles ea. and have broke the 1000 mile mark for sure easy, never a problem at all, they track nice and handle well, the wrecker set # 7 is for tow barring in soft ground conditions because the steer wheels will take the easy route and do what u said above, the towed vehicles tire pressure can be increased to make it even easier to steer and follow behind the other deuce, Now sharp turns are a no no also, and one must feel there truck and keep one eye on the front wheels of the towed truck, and backing up can also be done with practice and fine, but in tight situations and back ups a steer man like said is a good idea and needed, please never ty off the wheel, they need to turn , I am sure u are more than capable of this, its just something silly, like some gravel in a bad place , wide turns proper speed and go. if the wheels are not in the correct direction or close when starting can be a problem also... there are millions of towbarred miles on deuce on deuce in service. ,,,good luck oh tying wheels with a bungy is different than what I was sayin about tyin off, although i would never do that either, it is just important to let em turn and wide , and like i said dumb luck some loose gravel at the start up and a little turn the wrong way could make that happen... and low air also bad...too much traction .

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks