• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Towbar Mounting & spare tire mounting on M105A2

wsucougarx

Hello gentlemen, somewhere in here I saw a desert tan deuce w/a medium tow bar mounted parallel w/the front bumper. Does anyone have that pic? Has anyone mounted a towbar on their deuces? I just picked up two complete medium towbar setups (couldn't pass them up for only $225/setup plus the emergency tow chain for only $40 plus the guy threw in two spring seats for free and brand new metal deuce bows) and want to know how you've mounted yours. I'm going to keep a towbar w/each of my two deuces. Thanks in advance
I am also wondering how you've mounted a spare tire on your M105A2's also

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a couple pics of nickd's setup. I like it as well, but from what I understand the front axle is near load limit with the winch etc. up front, the towbar mounted up front doesn't help add tread life to the tires either. I will probably be mounting my towbar in the bed somewhere.

Attachments

LanceRobson

I don't know of anyone that's mounted a spare on their 105 since the deuce carries the spare.

Agreed. Some of us have spares on 3/4 ton trailers due to those trailers being towed by so many different trucks.

A while back, there was a thread showing a tow bar stowed under the bed of a deuce, across the frame. Does anyone have a link or know who's rig that was?

Even with the road salt and mud, I like that idea more.

Lance

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I like the front mount but went the lazy route and mounted mine in the bed using an extra pintle hitch for the front of the towbar and one of the handles from the frame for the feet so I could chain it up.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. Some of us have spares on 3/4 ton trailers due to those trailers being towed by so many different trucks.

A while back, there was a thread showing a tow bar stowed under the bed of a deuce, across the frame. Does anyone have a link or know who's rig that was?

Even with the road salt and mud, I like that idea more.

Lance
I think that would be mine. The pins for the legs hold the bar against the frame on one side and I attached a small chain from the lunette end to the bed rail so it stays tight and won't move around. It has stayed put nicely and has been on two desert runs and a Tehachapi run plus all the around town driving.

Attachments

Armada

That's a great place to put it Will, I like it. A pintle hitch, like what Djfreema has mounted in his box, but mounted to the underside would be a good way to secure it also.
I want to come up with a way to mount mine on the M818, but obviously it doesn't have the box like yours. The front end has a wrecker winch so that would be out. Maybe sideways on top of the porch with a pintle hitch on one side and a couple D-ring brackets on the other for securing it? Kinda like what M.Walker has in his pic from GL, but behind the cab. Hmmmmm.......

wsucougarx

Outstanding guys thanks for the feedback. I like the underbed mounting. Out of site out of mind for those wouldbe thieves. I'm wanting to mount a spare tire on the trailer b/c my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins is going to take her out every once in awhile and would hate to use up the trailers bed. I need to brainstorm this one as I don't think the trailers bed would be strong enough to mount the tire itself. I need to come up w/a bracket of some sort. Thanks

nk14zp

I think under the bed is best.You know wen you need it if it's in the bed the time you need it will be the time the bed is full.There is a pic in the classified ads of a spare mounted on the front of a m105a2. I think it is a a2.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mounting a spare on the front of the M105 high enough to clear the brake handles and landing gear will take a man of sufficient balls. That tire/wheel weighs 170# and you can't roll it close to into place. I'm sure there is an enterprising way but I don't know it.