• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce towing 5tn

I have a M813 and a deuce at Letterkenny.The 5tn doesnt have batteries in it.GL posted as does not run.The guy at Letterkenny stated that they determin if they run or not when they go to take them off the trailer.If the trucks start they run if not they dont.If the truck hed no batteries it wont run. So I am going Monday to get both of them.I will put batteries in it if it starts it will be driven home.Now my question is.If it will not run can a deuce pull it home.I live about 45 miles from there.There is one problem that I can see.I have to go over a mountain.It is not too high elevation is around 1000ft.Down hill is all straight no turns.What are anybodies thouts on towing.

spicergear

What's the 813 weigh? Do you mean Starret's Gap? My deuce is 18,000# and pulls 14,000# winch deuce trucks with no problems. You're also going to have a REAL slow 45 miles if you have to tow with a whole 136 hp of the stock deuce.

Dublin Gap on 234.i live out side of Loysville.You live in Perry also.I would not think there was another SS living this close to me.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It will pull it fine. Stopping is what you have to worry about. You can hook up hoses from the deuce's glad hands to the 5ton's glad hands to get brakes.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I towed one of Westfolk's 5 ton tractors with my M35 and it worked just fine. It did feel heavier then towing another M35, and it is a bit wider. I was going 45mph on the highway with some higher and some much slower depending on hills. Take it slow and get a feel for it before you have to deal with traffic if you can. I am not going to suggest doing this, but it can be done with care. Double check your brakes before towing.

cbvet

Gimpyrobb wrote "You can hook up hoses from the deuce's glad hands to the 5ton's glad hands to get brakes."
How does that work?
I know the M813 has front gladhands, but don't understand how the towed vehicle's brakes can work without the brake pedal being depressed.
Could you add glandhands to the front of a Deuce & have the same benefit when towing it?
Thanks,
Eric
CBVET

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check PA Motor Vehicle Code before putting someone else in towed vehicle to steer. Make sure it's legal. If it's of concern to you. Otherwise, I've done this, but not with a deuce/5tn setup, and as long as the drivers are in sync, it works ok and is probably an option.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Eric, from what I understand, it basicly works like a trailer. You hook service up to service and emergency up to emergency, and the brakes work. The only time I tried it was when I brought home Cabell's 5t dump. There was and air leak somewhere so we took off the hoses and just stopped using the deuce's brakes. I took it slow and safe and nobody was killed. HUH, ask anyone who has driven with me, my truck will not set any land speed records.

emr

If U hook up the hoses correctly and the brakes work in the truck being towed, U do not need to press the peddle, the air from the front truck makes the brakes work, as for towing , it can and has been done, as for doing it without practice, ?It is very different and if it gets away from U there will absolutly be NO way to bring it back, And well thats scary.U can't have someone in a towed vehicle on a public road, and it is not safe, its bad for the hobby to take chances, Since u are asking, If U can hook a 5 tonner to Your deuce and run it and feel it first, BEFORE U go,And lock up the wheels once or twice!well then U have at least done some homework, as for learning on the road itself I for one say don't do it, My 2 cents is DO NOT pull a 5 ton with a deuce unless U have the experience . Know all the things that can and will go wrong will, I never would have done it in my first days as an MV big iron owner, BUT after 9 years of towbarring and with the big truck experience under my belt when i was Young running tandems, , I now have done it, BUT with more caution !realizing I would never going over 40 and not everysecond feeling my brakes could stop me in a pinch . and prepared to abort any time i would feel nervous,Its a very serious endeavor.What condition are the brakes in the deuce, ? they are working now so U think they will do it??, I did not tow any vehicle untill i have Had all my wheels pulled bearings repacked and wheel cyclinders checked and some replaced, they can be going without u knowing it and if one blows while u are towbarring u are done, I have found most deuces have at least one wheel cylinder weeping waiting for the overload,U can only see that with the wheels OFF! These trucks are to old to take that kind of work safely without proper maintanence, sorry my 2 cents is alot in this, I do alot of prep all year long on my trucks so I hope they are safe,Alot of guys i know jump into there deuces and race to a parade, never having wheels off never tightening all the bolts, expecially the jack shafts! I do know a guy who paid for it once, had his deuce for 5 or so years the jackshaft let go broke apart the tranny came up thru the floor, He was very lucky not to have lost a leg!after it happened...said whats a jack shaft? ...Randy

emr

Oh if The bats are good in the deuce and none in the five ton, U only need 2 bats in series to run the 5 ton, it takes 4 but u can run it with 2 for a time with no prob at all, fire up the 5 ton and tow with that, Randy

halftrack

We just had some Marines killed practicing recovery and towing vehicles under combat conditions at Camp Pendleton. A 7 ton was tow-baring another 7 ton down a road on a downward slope (not a bad slope either and on a paved road) when the 7 ton towing the other truck applied it's brakes (they did not slam the brakes either) the truck being towed pushed the foward truck causing it to jack knife and flip over. I know 5 tons do not weigh as much as 7 tons, however, a deuce is a light weight when compared to a 5 ton. That is a lot of momentum being towed and just remember, it will want to continue to go foward. In other words, if you apply your brakes in a turn a little aggressively, then the chances of the 5 ton pushing your deuce side ways and jack-knifing are pretty great.

I would at least tow a 5 ton with another 5 ton.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to ask again, what about deuce pulling deuce? I mean, if a 7 tn was pulling a 7tn and flipped.....

I guess if FMJ pulled a M109 with a M109, should work. Eh? Just trying to be safe.

Cdub

five ton cargo weights come in at around 22,000 - 23,000 lbs.

taking a deuce straight out of the GL and towing a five ton.......hummmmmm...??

don't think I would do it.....your taking a lot of chances...

Good Luck and God Speed oh ya.......and God Bless...

C'dub

dmetalmiki

emr has it right..read and digest..let me add it was mentioned "....towed at 45 more/ less on hills!! DONT DO THAT (as) when YOU find out its (all) going wrong.. it's way too late and as said THERE IS NO GOING BACK!!( THE ONLY way out of problems is NOT to get into problems in the first place.you CAN tow a 5 ton with a deuce I go rallies all year round 5ton pulss deuce BUT MY DEUCE HAS GLADS FITTED TO THE FRONT(and lighting socketts) I have braking on all 12 axles when towing.(see deks collection in picture gallery for modification) (no there is no brakeman in the deuce ITS ILLEGAL!) AS EMR said.. GO SLOW on curves you should(have) made ALL "arrangements" BEFORE arriving at the (ANY) curve ok.. and be "tugging" as you enter and leave. MY five ton blew a gasket 70 miles from home and I towed it home with the deuce WITH THE GLADS CONNECTED S L O W and S T E A D Y..just took took time enjoyed the ride kept EVERYTHING well under controll LOW RATIO on ANY (decents) absalutely NO REASON (or excuse!)to be harrassed flustered worried or "dithering"(thus incapable) if in DOUBT dont do it. However..if you do it with the guidelines emr gave ya and you peruse this..do it slowly carefully under controll SAFELY with confidence. ALL CHECKS FIRST. if the 5 ton runs SAME!!! YES SAME, you have NO BRAKES on the deuce!! so..(at the risk of repeating!) SAME slow steady safely. AND feel REALLY good satisfied and a feeling of a mission WELL AND SAFELY accomplished. GOOD LUCK> let us know how YOU did it.

dmetalmiki

ecostruction. you ask again. Well In the U.K. its ILLEGAL to pull a deuce with a deuce. (OR ANY vehicle of the same wieght. the towed vehicle must NOT exeed 70% the towing vehicle wieght.INCLUDING trailer. OR(on an A bar) unbraked! so check your laws. theres the answer it aint tugging them (before anyone tells ya oooo it'l do it ALL DAY!) ITS THE STOPPING!>! with my deuce pulling my other deuce low range on all hills ( check changes are only for the EXPERIENCED) and uphill! and GLADS CONNECTED. yeah itl go like the devil no prob (on 1200s allmost 70 mph!) ME? I go 35MPH. 40mph. WHEN I see 1/4 mile clear.ALL other times I tug it with my 5ton.NEVER over 50mph.

spicergear

See if you're able to get it out of the GL lot and maybe stage it at a local business for a couple of bucks. My truck is 18,000# so I'm over two tons up on any other deuce for towing. If you can get off the GL lot maybe a saturday we can drag her home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks