• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce towing capability

Blackbear

I picked up a DRS ammunition trailer, pineal hook and all at a recent auction.
the local gang at the garage says the deuce will have trouble pulling it,
but I haven't pulled anything yet, it's a M35A2 460 whistler, 1990, I don't think it will be an issue,
and now "the rest of the story" , ..comments.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If this is the 4 wheel low bed drop side ammo trailer, talk to 98G, he just towed one with a deuce.

Also, I didn't know they were selling penile hooks at the recent auction, I'd stay away from those. They want a ring on the finger and the once you are hitched, it does get hitched in a stowed position forever. Maybe it came with a pintle hitch (lunette).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It will pull it but it won't like it if you are going to be on anything but flat terrain.

Make sure you have the brake hoses hooked up correctly.

One problem with pulling one of those with a vehicle that is not equipped with a hand valve is that you can't use the trailer brakes separately which can come in real handy when you look back and see it trying to pass you coming down a hill.:shock:

You might also consider putting a few thousand pounds of ballast in the back of the deuce.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Empty, 98G claimed the stopping distance of his deuce was improved by the air brakes on the trailer. That's the same type he towed from LA to AZ.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will tow it but, if there is any type of hill it will slow slow way down. Just do not be in a rush.
Yes I would make sure the brakes are working.
Also the M989 trailer does not back very well.

Rmtaunton

It will , but at same time you cant put anything in trailer unless its marsh mellows. But that would work great if you and your whole town really really like marsch mellows.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blackbear and I have exchanged a bunch of info back and forth this morning on the topic of towing the HEMAT with a Duece. Empty, he should be just fine.

In summary: cage bolts OUT, all air lines connected, watch your air pressure because the 989 likes to suck air, avoid backing unless you have experience backing haywagons, allow plenty of room for braking and especially for acceleration, downshift early, and unhook the emergency air when you stop (applying trailer springbrakes as park brake - otherwise the poor little deuce parkbrake is trying to hold all 26,000lbs)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might help the novice deuce owner. I planned all of my highway exits at overpasses. Never got off at an underpass or at the bottom of a hill. The incline helps slow the stop and helps the merge speed.

Blackbear

A big thank you to 98g, everything from cage bolts to driver and passenger air supplies lines. Appreciate the help, Tag says 11,000 lbs empty, I've pulled several large RVs, this will be a bit bit different, but I'm ready now, some day I will be able to pass this info on to another.
cheers.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 566916

Ok here's the picture, man it's a long sob, didn't realize that, and look at that p- hook
NOPE! Don't see one in that pic at all.

What we do see is a LUNETTE RINGon the front of that fine lookin' ammo trailer.

Look at it like you might look at human genitalia....

The (MALE) PINTLE HOOK is on the powerful, masculine TOW VEHICLE (and it happens to resemble a HOOK-shape for easy recognition). It penetrates the (FEMALE) LUNETTE RING (which coincidentally has a Ring-shaped receiver for a HOOK to poke through) in order to COUPLE or MATE with the non-powered feminine unit (aka: TRAILER) in order to lead it around, provide motive power, and even assert braking control forces.... much like the HEAD OF THE HOUSEHOLD does (or at least SHOULD).

I'm sure you wouldn't call a man's tool his Vajina, nor a woman's nether region her Penus (Intentional misspellings to trick the filters). Therefore, please learn to recognize and properly address the mating equipment on your MVs.

<End Biology Lesson #1>

Carry on.

Last edited:

Heavysteven

That would be great for a parade. I think traffic slamming the brakes and flying around you is going to be your biggest fear factor. I would invest in a rotate yellow or red light. I think they sell battery operate magnetic ones with a remote.

Be Safe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks