• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce towing deuce wreck

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine was comming back from FL Saturday and got stuck in traffic on I65 in Cullman,AL. When he finally got to where he could see what the holdup was, he saw it was two deuces wrecked. From what he could tell, one deuce was flat towing the other one and something went wrong. Was it anybody here?

I hope nobody was hurt and this is a reminder to be careful in these trucks.

SixSpeed

Banned
Yikes! I haven't heard anything. I would be surprised if nobody knew them though. We have a pretty wide network of owners here. Hope everything is alright!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed deuces home before behind other deuces. No problems, though it was a little white knuckle on the first trip, having never done it before.

Hope the drivers are okay.

Crazyguyla

It could have been the military since we as a community try to emphisise the proper way to flat tow our equipment. I've seen army units put someone behind the wheel that has never towed something to include the TC, bad things usually happen.

Looks like murphy was in the area too..

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To add to the negative press, I'm watching the news right now and a DUKW giving tours in PA caught on fire, got hit by a barge, and sank.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CAUTION: Rant follows................

How many incidents is it gonna take before people understand one of the BASIC laws of Physics (and towing) is that you always tow with something BIGGER than what you are towing!!! And especially deuces, which have a mind of their own on NDT's, and I'll bet 95% get towed with no brakes. Hey, I understand most everyone out here is on a budget, and you try to work with what you got, but PUULLLEEEEEZZE, use some sense. If you are on a tight budget now, just think what your economic forecast looks like when an accident happens and you get your azz sued off, cause your insurance company is gonna decline the claim because you were operating your vehicle outside of the policy parameters. Whenever possible, these trucks should be trailered long distance. I myself have mechanically sound deuce, but I wouldn't even consider towing another truck with it out on the highway. Yeah, down the street or across town, but not over 35 mph (isn't there a reference somewhere re: towbar speeds?). And another thing, don't be driving your "junk" out there on the highway endangering MY life. Not going to mention any names, but I recently trailered a deuce for someone, that had severe gear oil leaks, sponges for brakes, etc. etc. People, if we don't clean up our act with these vehicles and police "ourselves", state DOT's are going to do it FOR us! And I don't think any of us want that. The more stupid crap that gets pulled out there only draws more "unwanted" attention to our hobby.

Just my 2cents

The podium is yours...........

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone hear anything yet on the wreck on I65? I saw the water accident on the national news this morning. No pics of it yet as it was still on the bottom. They were reporting a small fire and it capsized after the barge hit it.

:-(

Biggles

I saw on CNN where a "Duck Boat" was hit by a barge. I assumed it was a couple guys with guns in a marsh camo painted flat bottom boat. . . . .