• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce towing deuce wreck

emr

CAUTION: Rant follows................

How many incidents is it gonna take before people understand one of the BASIC laws of Physics (and towing) is that you always tow with something BIGGER than what you are towing!!! And especially deuces, which have a mind of their own on NDT's, and I'll bet 95% get towed with no brakes. Hey, I understand most everyone out here is on a budget, and you try to work with what you got, but PUULLLEEEEEZZE, use some sense. If you are on a tight budget now, just think what your economic forecast looks like when an accident happens and you get your azz sued off, cause your insurance company is gonna decline the claim because you were operating your vehicle outside of the policy parameters. Whenever possible, these trucks should be trailered long distance. I myself have mechanically sound deuce, but I wouldn't even consider towing another truck with it out on the highway. Yeah, down the street or across town, but not over 35 mph (isn't there a reference somewhere re: towbar speeds?). And another thing, don't be driving your "junk" out there on the highway endangering MY life. Not going to mention any names, but I recently trailered a deuce for someone, that had severe gear oil leaks, sponges for brakes, etc. etc. People, if we don't clean up our act with these vehicles and police "ourselves", state DOT's are going to do it FOR us! And I don't think any of us want that. The more stupid crap that gets pulled out there only draws more "unwanted" attention to our hobby.

Just my 2cents

The podium is yours...........
I dissagree with alot of what U said, and agree though that there are ALOT of guys who buy these trucks and DO NOT do what it takes to maintain a safe vehicle, with that said these NDTCC tires are more than enough unless u are over driving your truck, then its operater error period, i do get a kick out of guys not knowing the ability of these tires and blaming them, they have with stood the toughest service on this planet longer than any other tire in all conditions and climates, Now again it is pure stupidity to over drive them, They are more than enough to flat tow with and run for many years, I have over 100,000 total miles on NDTs in many conditions and Never had a set give way or fail.of course this does happen but as usuall it is usually driver error, It is MORE than safe to with same size vehicles, they were made for this and so were the tow bars. there must be a few million miles of this the world over in our military. Just in the unit here flat tow bar tows are so common its part of the routine.and expected ahead of time when they go out, these are TACTICAL vehicles not hi miler over the road trucks, one needs to remember that when they need constant care and maintenence. good luck, I do hope all read and understand where U are coming from though, SAFETY FIRST!!! good post...Randy

rmgill

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I understand the concern it is rarely (notice I said rarely) a single or even a couple events that cost a few lives that will ever cause the government to come done hard on an industry or hobby or anything else for that matter.

Will there be exceptions to this opinion, yes but not very often.

Am I trying to excuse stupid decisions, not hardly. I'm just saying that the wreck on I65 as a single event won't bring about the end of the MV private ownership world.

IMHO

sw

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After talking with my friend more about the wreck, he's not so sure it wasn't military. He said he thinks there may been some men there in uniform but he's not 100% sure because he was looking at the trucks as he went by.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emr - i was referring to the way the NDT's tow. It has been my experience that radial tires tow, and follow, over various terrain, musch nicer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A friend of mine was comming back from FL Saturday and got stuck in traffic on I65 in Cullman,AL.
After talking with my friend more about the wreck, he's not so sure it wasn't military. He said he thinks there may been some men there in uniform but he's not 100% sure because he was looking at the trucks as he went by.
That would be on the route to Camp Shelby, MS from points north...there are a lot of Nat Guard and Reserve units that do their
Annual Training down there. It is possible that they were recovering a disabled vehicle. There are some steep hills around
Cullman where an inexperienced driver could have a problem towing another vehicle.