• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tranny Capacity

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G-Force,

Yeah, the vent is free and clear. I also made extra sure of that while I had the tranny out of the truck. I don't know what oil the military unit at Ft. McCoy used in it but it was definitely gear lube (gear lube has it's own distinct smell to it). Was it the proper gear lube???? That's the $64,000 question.

I don't have a problem running it at the level it's at now. As gringeltaube pointed out, there is quite a bit of space above the fill hole to the top of the tranny, so that tells me that the lube to the upper end is a splash lube method and not submersion. Even being a little below the fill hole, it should still be getting plenty of lube up top. After 4 hours of hard running to Columbus and back, the tranny was not overly warm, I checked it out as soon as I got home since that was the first hard trip I subjected it too after I changed the clutch disk.

I will, however, do as you suggested and check it cold and then as soon as I finish a hard run to compare the levels. It is quite possible that the lube the military had in it wasn't the proper lube. I know I used NAPA 85w/90 in it when I filled it back up.

Thanks for the input.

jasonjc

It could have been the wrong oil. Pvt dopy could have put any thing in it. I got a m818 with what look,felt,smelt,acted like use eng oil in the trasnfer case:-x. The case now needs new bearing in it now.:evil:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dunno how I missed this thread! So the oil level in my trans is currently "WAY LOW"! Is there an answer other than wrong lube oil as to why mine leaks when filled to the fill plug? When I swapped the rear main, I also pulled the "tube" that goes around the input shaft of the trans. I saw nothing that looked wrong, so I bolted it back up and filled it 1/2 shy of the fill plug. Then on my trip to Tn, it leaked again. The level in the trans is now "way low". I'll just leave it at that. I really don't want to burn this thing up so any help as to where to look to keep it from leaking (with the correct fluid level) would be great. I am at a loss and could use a hand.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
where does it leak?? there is a gasket for the 'bell housing', and a seperate gasket for the release bearing sleeve in the front. there is also a choice of front bearings and one has a shield that would limit the amount of oil that the reverse thread would have to deal with.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't understand how a bell housing gasket would stop a leaking tranny?? The bell housing gasket, my understanding of it anyway, would be to prevent water from entering the bell housing during deep water fording, correct? The bell housing gasket surely will not keep fluid inside of a tranny?

However, I can see the bearing helping out some...a bearing with a shielded cage would definitely block some oil and keep it from the input screwback. Do you have any pictures of the different bearings installed? How hard would it be to open the tranny while it's on the truck and see which kind is in there?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That could be the problem, I didn't see a gasket on the release sleeve. I also seem to remember the bearing not being "closed". DO you have those parts for sale?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you are thinking of the clutch housing on the engine, i consider the front housing of the transmission the bell housing. there is a gasket between the 'bell housing' and the transmission. without it the trans may leak oil. the bearing # is 1308SL and with a bright light you may be able to tell since the shield is on the rear of the bearing. gasket is in the trans set, but easily made with the front part as a pattern.

tom