• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tranny in a 5 ton

burnett_tommy

i know some people put the five ton multi motor in a duce but how does the tranny and t case hold up .Or are they bringing the tranny ant t case out of the 5 as well. I have a m54 with direct drive and love the truck but think i would like it more with a duce O D tranny and t case with air selector front .I have the duce tranny tcase and selector and am seeking the advice of the best source i have seen .Any advice wold b appreciated i do not pull or haul any thing just a driver going to drop the rear axle as well. Like i said any advice would be great :idea:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think someone sells a kit to convert the 5 ton transfer case to air-shift. That is, it can be put out of gear so the front is free.

burnett_tommy

the large gape between the gears redline to idle i drove one me friend has and drove a duce the gape i think is smaller and the duce 2 is od im not sure what to do if it will hold the extra ponies i think the duce would b a good swap

mckeeranger

5-ton air shift

The modification to air shift on a 5 ton isn't tough. Basically it just cuts off the air to the sprag, at it's source, and releases any pressure that's already on it. That's the spit you hear on the deuce when you disengage the front wheel drive.

Memphis equipment sells the parts. I'm sure many of the other big suppliers do as well.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i know some people put the five ton multi motor in a duce but how does the tranny and t case hold up.........
Very valid question..... !
I can only say that many here have gone that route and many LDS465-1A engines have been installed by the military, retaining the stock o.d. 3053A and Deuce TC. Possibly some got their fuel turned down a bit but knowingly others are running the 5ton MF as it came or have way turned the fuel on their LDTs up to probably similar Hp and torque figures. No "new" problems have been reported so far, other than the typical wear areas and failures encountered in all applications.

As your truck would only see very light duty possibly even bobbed I would say go for it!
The only problem maybe would be the driveline angle to the front differential which is sitting on the opposite side. But I think that steering knuckles and inner axle shafts can be flipped around if necessary.

Or are they bringing the tranny ant t case out of the 5 as well.
Never heard of that.

BTW: the 5ton TC can be modded to work just like the AIR SHIFT 2.5ton TC does but it would take more than just a few parts for the air lines... Sprag operated T-cases turn their output shafts at a .93:1 ratio front-to-rear! I would be surprised if they also include new gears in that kit to equal both output speeds!?

G.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the mod to the xase is just a air switch , cutting air to the trans valves, this puts the xcase in neutral, this is a mwo . as i see it, when you put a 5t multi in a deuce, you are still pulling the same weight though the trans and xcase, putting a deuce trans and xcase in a 5t , you pulling at least 1 1/2 times the deuce weight with no load empty, start loading or working the truck, the loading on the trans and xcase will go up FAST. another thing, the pto for the winch is on the left for the deuce and on the right for the 5t and can the 5t drive flanges be installed on the deuce gear, oone other thought, the drive shaft lengths will have to be changed

so with all the above and MORE, I think it is a BAD idea, as somebody ealse already said "GET A 5t OD TRANS" and do the mwo

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
I have seen the kit and its not just a "air switch". The gears in the t case are change also to match the rear out put/drive. The 5 ton T case is a Overriding type. meaning the rears have to slip a little so the front can start to drive. If you lock in 6x6 (only way to do it in 5 ton with out the kit is to have a messed up air valve and a stuck sprag. I know mine is stuck) and drive down the road the front tires will drag and it will burn them up. I KNOW I LOST A SET OF BRAND NEW TIRES! The rear spin faster then the fronts and you will be pushing the front tires. Its more then a air valve.. you have to split the case and replace some of the gears. I have been looking for a kit for years now and only have seen one in my life.

burnett_tommy

thanks for all the input i decided not to go with the duce stuff as i would also have to shift the motor to the drivers side as it is off center and that combined with the other complications is to much work for not much gain im going with a spicer 7 speed or a 10as i have thees laying around will look for a air kit and lockouts next again thanks 4 the input