• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tranny issues

trooper632

I am suppose to pick a M109 from Ft. Hood but the GL rep says it wont go into any gear, They dont have a way to help load it up either so before I go an attempt to get it on my trailer, what are the first things that come to your minds about the tranny issue. I wasnt able to talk to him so I dont know anything more than that. It will start and it runs just wont go into gear.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the shifter go into the different shift patterns, or does it not just move when you put it in the different gears? How about the transfer case shifter, does it go between Hi-neutral-Lo okay? How does the clutch pedal feel? You should be able to feel the shifter moving the gears around. Have you looked under the truck? Make sure you have a drive shaft.

Last edited:

trooper632

Dont have a clue havent seen it, just gonna have to figure out how to push it up on the trailer and get it home to see what the problem is.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's the 109 that was listed as "start/runs doesnt move" I believe the clutch is to blame. I fired that one up and tried to get her into gear but no luck. Keep us posted and god speed!

P.S. They may assist you with their off road forklift on site but it's best to call the Rep and ask directly.

willy

deuce

Just remove one side all axles and than she will roll
roll her on to the trailer and find out at home what is wrong
Or both sides if you have to.:deadhorse:
Willy

Barrman

Try to get a more specific diagnosis.

Goes into gear with the engine off, but won't with it running means clutch/pilot bearing issues. You can start it in neutral, get it warm, turn it off and then put the truck into low 1st, start it again to drive onto the trailer and turn it off to stop.

Gear shift won't get a gear enging on or off is transmission issues and you won't be self loading.

Gear shift moving fine engine on and off but the truck not moving means drive shaft or tcase issues. Tcase could just be in neutral or it could be shot.

KsM715

You can start it in neutral, get it warm, turn it off and then put the truck into low 1st, start it again to drive onto the trailer and turn it off to stop.

Verify that the engine will shut down properly with a qwik pull of the shut off before you get on the trailer and find out the shut off cable doesnt work. :shock:

trooper632

im good with all of those things but I personally havent been there to see what the issue is yet, Toaster, yes that is the one. So the gearshifter would move into different gears with the clutch it just woudlnt move?, or couldnt move shifter in the gears

PsycoBob

Put the t-case in neutral, then try shifting with the engine off. Try working the t-case shift lever from hi-neutral-low to jog the transmission gears a little. Some transmissions just don't like to shift worth a **** without things moving a little. If you can get it into gear with the engine off, warm it up & restart in first/low to load it. The stuck transmission/clutch bits may free up with a few minutes of use.

Might not be a bad clutch- I had a linkage bolt fall out, simulating a failed release mechanism.

Clutch may also be frozen to the flywheel (rusted throttle cable plus starting it in gear made for new shorts all around. 'Instant' oil pressure & 2900rpm + 8wheel gravel burnout.)

If you can start it in neutral (t-case too) try looking down thru the hole in the floor for the t-case lever. The output shaft should be slowly rotating. It'll speed up if you gently pull it into gear, even just enough for the synchro to touch. If you pull it into 2nd carefully, it should go with the engine running & t-case in neutral, even if the clutch is engaged.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im good with all of those things but I personally havent been there to see what the issue is yet, Toaster, yes that is the one. So the gearshifter would move into different gears with the clutch it just woudlnt move?, or couldnt move shifter in the gears
From what I remember she just would not enter a gear set. I didn't spend too much time diagnosing it as there were other trucks to be inspected so take my words with a grain of salt. Just be safe and of course..PICS!

trooper632

I will look it over pretty good before starting it up, but has anyone every used a wrecker company to load up off this base, it is north ft hood