• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tranny, Things I've Learned

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) The military tranny hoist doesn't work that good. Actually not at all.
2) Just because you can jamb from 4th to 5th without a grind doesn't mean you should.
3) Short come-a-longs are much better if you use the "Across the cab" method.
4)Setting up the PTO on the ground works really good, installing the tranny with the PTO in place works really bad.
5) Gasser PTO shafts are more of a headache to install than trannys with PTOs attached.
6) 5 year olds can't differentiate between 1/4' and 3/8" drive sockets.
7) Top shelf creepers and driveways on a tilt can be frustrating.
8 ) The deuce is just high enough to be out of reach on a creeper but just low enough to prevent sitting up.
9) It's nice to have all 5 gears again.

rdixiemiller

RE: Deuce Tranny, Things I

Sounds like we had fun!
I know I used to remove the PTO before R&R ing the trannies in dumptrucks. Seemed like the PTO always blocked access to some bolts, and made the tranny want to hang lopsided, making it hard to get it in and out of the truck.
I have already discovered bullet point #8.
I am sure point #9 is true!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think for futurre installs, I'm going to establish the backlash clearance of the PTO off the truck then install the tranny without it. That way therre I can just slide up under there and hang the PTO one time.

ida34

Kenny,
If infants can learn sign language I am sure a 5 year old can learn the difference in 1/4 and 3/8 drive. I think your training program is flawed. rofl I taught mine to get drinks and remotes as soon as they could walk.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I previously owned a nifty creeper with an adjustable, elevating back that was ideal for use with the deuce.

I'm not sure what my ex-wife thinks she's gonna do with it.....

DD

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I can't get my dog to fetch tools yet. She's good with a stick or ball, but goes all to pieces when I open the tool box. She often lays down on my piece of carpet when I am working on it under the truck though, so she's good company!

JDToumanian

2) Just because you can jamb from 4th to 5th without a grind doesn't mean you should.
What do you mean Kenny? Are you suggesting double-clutching? I can see that for 3rd to 4th, but 4th to 5th doesn't seem to need it.... Am I wearing out my trans?

Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Truth of the matter is the 5 year old was a tremendous help when working on the truck. He has much more energy than I have and doesn't mind burning some of it up. He's also and accomplished lifter via the M108, bottle jack or the engine crane. As far as the tranny, haven't opened it up yet but I think I'm the cause of the failure. I used to do some stupid stuff with it as far as jambing it from 4th to 5th clutchless. Looking back I'll bet that was the cause. From listening to it going down the road, I'd say a few teeth are missing from 5th gear.
David, I wan't one of those creepers. One day I'll have one too. For those who have never seen one, I'm pretty sure this is the one David was talking about.
http://www.jsaginnovations.com/creepers-main.html

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Deuce Tranny, Things I

Recovry4x4 said:
..... I think I'm the cause of the failure. I used to do some stupid stuff with it as far as jambing it from 4th to 5th clutchless. Looking back I'll bet that was the cause. From listening to it going down the road, I'd say a few teeth are missing from 5th gear.
Kenny,
if it makes you feel better, let me tell you that that can happen even to the best driver.
At worst, shifting clutchless would affect the small internal synchronizer gear teeth. But even using the clutch as supposed, 5th o.d. gear is a weak link in our 3053s, it wears relatively fast on its short sleeve and finally starts loosing teeth because of uneven load, usually long before the internal gear is worn out.
The good thing is, you can inspect/replace the related parts without pulling the tranny(+ PTO!).

Good luck!

Gerhard

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Deuce Tranny, Things I

I'm going to go open it up here in a bit. How hard is it to find the gears and such for these? Will parts from the TMC and Spicer interchange?

devilman96

Hey... I offered assistance and flat concrete... shop fans... etc!!! lol Glad you were able to get it in... I know tis not a fun job!

I didn't have problems with my PTO using a engine hoist to reinstall the tranny... maybe its due to beign easier to hang the tranny off set and move it around????

With creepers... When I worked on aircraft we had to make our own and we made them stackable so you could have a 4 inch, 6 inch, 12 inch, 24, inch or even 48" tall creeper to work from... In my own endeavors I've said 50 times I need to build a 6 or 8 inch jobber for this tuck but have not due to the up coming 395's... there after I will be building one!

Build a box outta wood and get some high quality dolly wheels for the bottom... For these trucks it will exceed anything you could buy!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

When I finally got the engine crane out of the back, it went well. The crane is what I've always used in the past.
Did you see this creeper? http://www.jsaginnovations.com/creepers-main.html
You can't stack creepers too tall or you won't be able to get it under the truck. I like the JS Ag creeper but building one would be better. I want one with an assist lifting the head and back and brakes.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Deuce Tranny, Things I

red devils dude said:
what about a front out put PTO for the Winch does it get in the way, I was going to install mine ahead of time.
When Leonard Jones and I worked on the rear main seal replacement, the PTO stayed on the tranny and wasn't any real cause for delay. It may be easier to fit the transmission without it, but haven't done it without it to know.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks