• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Transfer case case???

sailor2000

Well... drove the Deuce today without my earplugs... and think my transfer case MUST be going... sounds good up to about 35 mph in 5th gear... then a LOUD grinding / whining / screaming noise starts... sounds like from under the seat... push in the clutch ( at 40+ mph) ... same noise... put tranny in neutral ( at 40+ mph).l.. same noise... put transfer case in neutral ( at 40+ mph).. same noise... and I just changed my u joints...

Should I bother draining the case and filling with Lucas? Just changed the transfer case fluid...

Can anyone suggest a good source for a good take-out transfer case???

sailor2000

Re: RE: Deuce Transfer case case???

m-35tom said:
pull the magnetic drain plugs on both and look for signs of damage. sounds like no or low oil
Drained and refilled both tranny and transfer case a few weeks ago (last time I drove it)... almost no metal on the transfer case plug magnet... tranny had no magnet... lots of silver metal came from one of them... saw it when i drained the 5 gal bucket I drained both into... but both were full.. and no signs of leaks...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Deuce Transfer case case???

if the truck has been driven fast, second gear could have seized to the trans main shaft. once that happens it's all down hill from there and will only get worse. it's a simple matter to pull the trans top cover and see if second gear has turned blue from heat...........

sailor2000

Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce Transfer case case???

m-35tom said:
if the truck has been driven fast, second gear could have seized to the trans main shaft. once that happens it's all down hill from there and will only get worse. it's a simple matter to pull the trans top cover and see if second gear has turned blue from heat...........
"put tranny in neutral ( at 40+ mph).l.. same noise... put transfer case in neutral ( at 40+ mph).. same noise..."

noise persists with tranny not turning....

sailor2000

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce Transfer case case???

acetomatoco said:
Check your Ebrake for sympathetic vibration...
I would love to... but how the heck do I see if my e-brake is sympathetic???

Ya knew that was a stumper.. didn't you!!!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce Transfer case case???

"put tranny in neutral ( at 40+ mph).l.. same noise... put transfer case in neutral ( at 40+ mph).. same noise..."

did you shut off engine? if not trans probably still turning

sailor2000

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce Transfer case case???

m-35tom said:

did you shut off engine? if not trans probably still turning
Clutch in, engine at idle, tranny in neutral, transfer case in neutral, rolling at 40 mph... no change in thenoise from heck except now it seems much louder cause there is almost no engine noise... and teh trans may be turning but not very fast... certainly much slower than when the lutch was enganged and and teh engine was turning 1900 rpm...

JDToumanian

It's common / normal for the t-case to be noisy... Out of the 6 I've encountered, I have yet to hear a quiet one! Mine has a distinctive whine to it, especially when decelerating. Are you certain it has gotten louder lately, or did you simply not hear it before?

I'd certainly check / change the oil as suggested, but as long as it's not popping out of gear... run it.

Jon

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does this noise persist when truck is accelerating? Mine makes this noise then coasting or when the drive train doesen't have much load on it. I think it's gear slap in mine. when the grears load and unload. I have used my laser heat gun on it and it never gets above 140 deg. I can hear most noises in mine because of the muffler and hard top. Noises i never heard with the rag and strait pipe.

spicergear

Is it possible that the weight of the T-case shifter vibrating is pulling it close to out of gear or something like that...I guess you tranny & t-case rebuilders would have to field this question.

sailor2000

acetomatoco said:
Check your Ebrake for sympathetic vibration...
All Hail the great all knowing, all seeing acetomatoco!!! I am humbled before such a magnifitude!!! Hail!! Haill!! Hail!!!

The body of knowledge on here is amazing... Have a problem... someone will have the answer... If only there was a resource this helpful with women and kid problems!!!

Taking the Deuce back to the storage this evening... there was that AWFUL grind / bang / ding / bang / grind / bang / ding ding /grind grind noise again as soon as I got over 35 MPH... thinking of Ace's comment... I pulled up on the e-brake lever a bit... not all the way.. just put some tension on the cable... all the evil noises went away... release the e-brake lever.. a moment later all the racket is back...

So... what is the fix?????

pa.rich

I am sure you are releived it wasnt the transfer case. Or could it be that tightening up on the brake silences a worn out output shaft bearing?? Thats weird. Is there any lining left on that E. brake? Metal to metal when its loose? I am just guessing. But anyway , that Ace is goood!!

sailor2000

When I had the drive shafts off for the u joints I checked the transfer case shafts for play or grinding or... they all felt great.... e brake linings are almost new...

JDToumanian

Since the shoes aren't worn, just follow the adjustment procedure in the TM. It's easy and will make it work great. There are several adjustment points and they are checked one at a time in sequence with feeler gages. There's a good chance you've lost some parts down there, too... There's supposed to be a tension spring at the top of the outer shoe and a little looped wire spring that connects the two shoes near the bottom. With both of these springs in place I'd think chatter would be impossible.

If you're certain the adjustment is correct, be sure to check the nuts holding the drive shaft to the t-case, as these also hold the parking brake drum in place...

...glad it's nothing too serious...

Regards,
Jon

sailor2000

Finally got back to the truck and got underneath... all the e brake spings are gone, circlips are all gone, linings are all gone... flipping the inner shoe back and forth against the drum by hand makes EXACTLY the noise I have been hearing... new parts on order... she will sound better soon!!!

acetomatoco

Good for you...glad I was able to help... but as I have said before,, been there done that.. When you adjust the ebrake make sure it is just on the cusp of applying so there is no slop in the cable...the shoes or the linkage. And the Sympathetic vibration is just that.. it amplifies any out of balance in the other systems and makes it into a big moment of movement.. and clackity clack, rattle, squeal and grind...deuces are fun... 5 tons are more fun and 10 tons of which I have had 10 or so are a handful at any speed...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks