• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce turns over - wont start or even sputter

PawnShopEd

hey guys one of my deuces I just picked up to make a plow truck out of suddenly started giving me a problem.
I recently bought the truck it was running perfectly. throttle would stick a little at first and I got a bit of white smoke when you'd accellerate. But other then that ran like a top. The fuel was horribly stale and like turpentine. I ran the rest of the tank out and figured it just ran out of fuel when it started to sound like it was sputtering so I shut her down. PIcked up 15 gallons of diesel and 5 gallons of fresh motor oil. Went in to turn it on and she just cranked and I figured it may of picked up some crap from the bottom in the fuel filters. So I changed the two secondary filters first and then cracked and bled and it was spitting fuel out beautifully. The existing filters inside were shot and had a thick caramel like sludge everywhere. So i figured with fuel there so heathily then the primary should be fine. went and cranked it to start and still turns over great but doesn't start. Not sure what happened exactly. I tried moveing the cut off rod in and out and makeing sure it wasnt stuck and makeing sure the throttle cable was moveing freeley at the injection pump but still nothing. I'm guessing the problem is somewhere within the injection pump, is there a way to test to make sure thats what it would be. I have 3 or 4 spare pumps but if it's something simple I don't want to have to use one up lol.

Thanks as always.

AceHigh

Ed, are you getting good spurts at the injectors? Mine did the same thing and the cut off rod moved in and out fine but it had jumped off inside the 2 screw housing. Just a thought.

hoop

Looks like it is time to take the fuel cut-off cover off and see whats happening.

Jimma

Also maybe add some diesel kleen to it to help with the crud in the system. I know it helped one of mine that had been sitting this winter with bad fuel.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel was horribly stale and like turpentine. I ran the rest of the tank out and figured it just ran out of fuel when it started to sound like it was sputtering so I shut her down. .
I would recommend draining and thoroughly cleaning the tank and fuel lines. Replace the primary filter and replace the secondaries again, even though you already have once. Make sure you get all the air out. This may or may not fix your problem, but should be done in any case if your fuel was as contaminated as you indicated. If this doesn't fix your problem, check the fuel cut off as others have suggested.

PawnShopEd

Ok so we opened up the cover for the injection pump fuel cut off - manually moved it would start and run - it would ten either climb in rpm by itself or would stall. As soon as it was shut off the piece would stick in place. My friend says theres a spring inside thats bad I think somethings just gummed up I had to pb blaster the linkage when I first got it because the throttle and kill switch both wouldn't even move more then a 1/4". So now they move freeley but apparently theres no return tension on the fuel cutoff spring.
Lol so whats the problem oh wise ones? lol.

colelkhunter

had the same problem not too long ago with my bobber. Cut the safety wire off the fuel shutoff hold down screws and remove the assembly. Hold a small cup under it so you don't lose anything. Disassemble the little fuel shot off valve and soak it all in lacquer thinner or other solvent. ANY debris in there will cause problems. when I took mine apart it was two small specks of black gunk about the size of a pin head that were causeing the problem. Assemble and go on your way. The return spring is on the fuel shutoff cable inside the cover. It has very little resistance on it. the fuel shutoff lever should move very easily, any resistance will cause problem. After this mine has run like a top ever since.

davidkroberts

had the same problem not too long ago with my bobber. Cut the safety wire off the fuel shutoff hold down screws and remove the assembly. Hold a small cup under it so you don't lose anything. Disassemble the little fuel shot off valve and soak it all in lacquer thinner or other solvent. ANY debris in there will cause problems. when I took mine apart it was two small specks of black gunk about the size of a pin head that were causeing the problem. Assemble and go on your way. The return spring is on the fuel shutoff cable inside the cover. It has very little resistance on it. the fuel shutoff lever should move very easily, any resistance will cause problem. After this mine has run like a top ever since.
and my posting about it

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/61428-stuck-open-injection-pump.html

PawnShopEd

Well took and dissasembled everything - soaked it re assembled put it back together and like a kitten it idled better then my primary deuce lol. Got all the rest of the stuff I had to get done to test drive it.... (windows, seats, gauges, and some misc bulbs and such. Get it taken care of take it down my short driveway lol( it's a first gear test area and then stepped into it and wow .... had no power , reved great but just no power.... now cue the smoke as soon as the the thought of why no power cue siezed e-brake. So now I've greased it , made sure theres plenty of cable slack and beaten off with a 5lb hammer for 30 minutes (yes I also applied pb blaster after I made sure it was full of grease) and ya **** no. So while I'm gifuring this truck out any suggestions?
lol
Thanks