• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce under dash power source

joshgar8

Hey guys,
I have installed a cig. lighter plug in a piece of aluminum angle under the dash of my truck. I also incuded three switches for use later on if I decide I need any accessories. I need to find a good power source to pull 24v from with a higher amp rating, because I plan on using my MRE heater some and its a heavy hitter as far as amp draw. I would also like it to be a switched power source from the main switch on the dash, just incase I experience alittle bit of a short before my fuse. I have debated about tapping into my heater power but it is hot 24v all the time, even when the main switch is off. I have not attemped going on the back of the main switch, would that be the best place to start, and will the switch hold up to the continous draw of the MRE heater?

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Most switches have a load rating on them, check that out. I would run a new line from the battery, as Ryan suggests also. Maybe install a pilot light to remind you it's on, therefore no dead battery problems. Unless your really good at vehicle electrics, I would stay away from tapping into the existing system.:-D

Last edited:
Pull a switched ignition tap running into a RELAY to power the relay on when the ignition is on. You'll also have to run a power wire from the battery into the relay. This way, you are not taking any current (well actually you are, but it's so minute, it's negligible) away from the switched ignition wire but you'll never drain your battery from the cig lighter if your ignition is off. Use a fuse in the power wire.

Attachments

joshgar8

Thanks for the info,
I thought about comming from the battery, but other than the fuse, I had no easy way of on and off incase of a short between the battery and the fuse. The relay idea will solve both problems.

thanks very much,
josh

Jake0147

If I were solving this- I'd keep it very simple. Come from the battery with a new wire. Right at the battery, install a very large fuse. 30 amps is huge in 24 volt, perhaps a 20 would be plenty of overkill. This will pop in the event of a dead short, but will not protect any devices. Route that wire carefully to the cab. (I'm a bit anal, it'd probably follow the factory wires all over the place and come in with the main harness over by the driver's side...). Once inside the cab, you can hitch up a pilot light and a genuine real deal switch to match any others in the truck, or you can use a relay from the main switch. While there is a bit of extra in the main switch, I would not ask it to move any new "heavy" loads. It was made to run certain things and it already does. Some extra is there, but not a lot of reserve. Nor is there a lot of reserve on the main breaker. Again, you can add stuff but if you want "worry free extra's" where you don't have to worry about what else is on, you want separate power.
At your cigarette lighter plug and/or other power sources/accessories that you intend to use, you can add a conveniently accessible fuse for the device (much smaller rating than the one at the battery), you can fuse any "branches" such as multiple outlets, or other powered devices individually with an appropriate fuse to protect that specific device.

It's a touch more "parts" than just clipping a wire onto something else, but this keeps stuff simple to install now or troubleshoot in the future, and keeps heavy loads off of other components that can just barely carry them if at all.

My .02 only of course, there are dozens of ways to skin this cat...

pittdog

HEY!....NO SMOKING in the deuce ! if you do, get one of those smokeless ash trays, hang it on that vent on the pass side front window, and buy a (BIC) lighter .... aua

joshgar8

HEY!....NO SMOKING in the deuce ! if you do, get one of those smokeless ash trays, hang it on that vent on the pass side front window, and buy a (BIC) lighter .... aua

No smoking here, not in my deuce or any other vehicle I own. Im not into me or my truck smelling like an ashtray :) It was the most common way to power things to keep from having a spaghetti mess of wires.....

thanks for all the info guys, when it stops raining im going to try to get it all wired.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks