• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce value without title?

croftonaviation

just wondering. How bad does not having paperwork hurt the value of a deuce? I am currenty in the euc holding pattern like a lot of you. I bought my truck with no intent to register it (I am planning to title it should it come thru). I am really going to use it on my farm. I did't know if there was a source for unregisterable deuces that would be O.K. mechanicly? Just wondering. Thanks for the thoughts and replys.

Carl_in_NH

All you need should is a title - no need to register it youself. If you've got a clear title, you can assign the vehicle to someone else when you sell it and they can register it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every state is different when it comes to titling and registering your vehicle. In TX if you buy a vehicle (other than from the govt) and don't register it within a certain time frame you, or the person you then sell it to, gets hit with a penalty fee. We don't have a state income tax but they'll be damned if they let you get away without paying them taxes on a vehicle you buy.

Carl_in_NH

True enough on the SF-97 - but the subject of the post doesn't make sense to me, now that I've read it again. You state that you want to know the value of the deuce without a title in the subject, yet in the post you say you are going to title it - just not register it. Are you asking so you can just forget about doing the title since you're not planning on registering it? If so, it will just be a collection of parts in the shape of a truck - worth probably no more than the engine and transmission - but only to the right customer, since they will have to take, move, and store a truck that can't be registered (unless another farmer buys it for the same application of off-road only).

Simply put, get the title - pay for the SF-97, and the title application in your state and be done with it. Likely going to cost you less than the truck is going to drop in value without the title - a lot less.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is their a way to get a title other than sf97?
Most of the time you can. It depends on your state. Some states will let you use a bill of sale for vehicles over so many years old. There are also title companies that can get you a title for a fee. Some states it's really hard to get a title without a SF-97.

nhdiesel

It could always be sold in N.H. We don't require titles for vehicles over 15 years old. In fact, our vehicles end up useless to many out of staters, because the state won't issue a title for older vehicles. I've tried going through them when I wanted to sell a vehicle to someone in Mass., and kept getting the run around, and I ended up not being able to sell it out of state.

My friend has the opposite problem, and bought a trailer from VT, where there was no title needed for it, and it had only been used on a farm anyway. But a trailer over 3k lbs. GVW is one thing we DO require a title for, and he's been fighting for nearly a year now trying to register it. Thanks to another member on here, I found out he can register it in Maine, so thats what he's going to end up doing.

Some states have ways to register them IF it came from a state like NH that doesn't require a title. It usually requires some extra paperwork, a copy of the old registration, etc.

Jim

croftonaviation

are you asking if you do not get approved for the gl truck can you pick up a untitled truck for cheap that will suit your current needs ?
This was exactly the idea. sorry I was not more clear. If I get this darn thing from gl then by all means I am going to title it. I was thinking If I did not get my paperwork back I might look for one with no paperwork. Although I am guessing last year when scrap was worth something most of these trucks were cut up.:-( But thanks for the reply's so far.

Carl_in_NH

It could always be sold in N.H. We don't require titles for vehicles over 15 years old.
That's true for cars, Jim - but an M35 requires a title regardless of age. There are two triggers that void the no-title law - three axels, and weight.

Now, that means you need to title it in this state - but do you need a title to start the process when you bring it into NH? I don't know the answer to that. I did one with an SF-97, and another with a PA title. Never tried with just a bill-of-sale, and don't intend to, either - given how much trouble it's been to get the other ones through the process

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In GA all you do is get a VIN verification form have a police officer verify VIN then get tags simple no SF-97.:wink:

GoHot229

I think you know it will be a hassel, same as anyone wanting an untitled vehicle who needs a fiew good words, "oh yea I had a friend who did it, no problem" hmmmh, yea right.... Its value is considerably less if you have to go on a paper chase with uncertain results a possability/likelyhood.
And for those of you who have a Truck/MV, vehicle what have you........not following through with taking the effort to attain the title or do the paperwork, it's a bonehead manouver, sure to cost you in the long run, or the buyer, which is unfair to them. Title's are needed to title and liscense in all 50 states, what makes anyone think different? Without one it is worth parts prices, 'cause if you cant get a title, then what do you have ?..........parts or a BIG headache.

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottom line is it all depends on what state your trying to get it reggied in, and you need to consult that states DMV rules.

For instance in NY, without a SF-97 IN YOUR NAME (and not the guy who originally got it from GL and never bothered to put it in his name then is selling it to you) or a real title, it's not going to happen, period. They dont accept Boradway Title Co's stuff anymore, so that option is out.

1crook

Six months?? I thought it was a year?
Tie,

You are correct. Just copied this directly from the GL site.

Requests for documents on vehicles sold more than one year prior to the date of the request will not be honored.

I have a truck that I have not applied for an SF-97 for and it has been over 6 months now. I was worried when I saw this thread. Good to know that you have a year.

JTugwell

i look at them on ebay a lot. i can see from bids on them that trucks with titles seem to get bids quicker, and higher than trucks without. may not make them worth more or not, but it makes it easier on the person buying the truck (at least it would in FL anyway) so i figure it makes a good selling point.

Earth

Vermont doesn't issue titles for any vehicle more than 15 years old. DMV here accepts the paid in full GL receipt, credits you for the tax paid and gives you a registration. The registration can be signed to transfer to another party. Don't know if that would complicate selling out of state or not.