• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce value without title?

GoHot229

If your going to get anything that is a vehicle to drive on the roads legally you got to have a liscense, registration, and insurance.....everyone knows that, a given. So the guy that failed to bother in a timely manner to get the SF or the title from the previous owner, has just created a nightmare for the next guy who buys and gets nothing.....a bill of sale is just about useless without some state issued paperwork. Just because he/she's your friend dont help, well mabe if they ever DID have it in their name its not so bad, but to buy off of the street is going to test your whole being before your done. Without a title, and no prospect of getting one, your shot down. What you then have is just what you thought you had to begin with.....minus the kind he said, she said, I'v got a friend storries and the Oh yea, you can get this company advertised in Hemmings Motor News where you can get a title for anything. don't buy that line. What you have then is something that can not be titled and ultimatly is for private off-road only. Even off road permits need a title of the vehicle. SO.... it's worth parts.....and not much more. Don't be fooled with kind words, it Ain't going to happen, so unless you have a use for it as parts then.......Heres another thing.... why don't they have a title ??? too lazy to follow the paperwork ? owe'd money against the title ? leanholders ? Yea theres a reason, and mabe your going to find out the hard way. If you have no problem with dis-honesty, well welcome to the areana.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get back to the question at hand, Yes, I say that having a title/clear "no problems" paperwork is worth $$ when compared to a "bill of sale only" IN MY STATE. I wont buy a MV without correct paperwork.

No correct paperwork = no reggie in my state = I cant drive it = it's only ever going to be parts on a rolling chassis at best

In other states, that may not be a problem, but without correct paperwork in my state, the DMV is going to tell me to go pound salt, and no amount of crying, yelling or anything else will change that.

It all depends on what your states DMV laws are. If the laws in another state dont require titles, then perhaps a bill of sale is all you need and your golden. In that case, then no, the title is not worth extra $$.

I had a friend ask me about buying a truck from a hobbyist dealer in another state who didnt have the correct paperwork and the dealer said to go the Broadway Title route. (which NYS DMV doesnt accept anymore).. The price on the truck was good, but without paperwork, it wasnt going to get registered at the DMV. So my buddy is still looking for a truck with paperwork. The hobbyist dealer didnt want to spend the extra $100 -200 on getting a title in his state for the trucks, so that cost him the sale of the truck.

BugEyeBear

Some states require a title.
Some states don't require a title, just a bill of sale & maybe a VIN verification.

But not having a title simply reduces your number of potential buyers if/when you decide to sell the truck.
The laws of Supply & Demand then dictate that fewer interested buyers equals a lower selling price.

I live in GA, and they don't issue titles for older vehicles.
BUT I take the time, & effort, & added expense to obtain titles for ALL of my vehicles (except for a few race cars) from another state because this helps to preserve the vehicle's value at resale.

Simply Put: No title generally equals Lower Value at resale!

DanielP

I have done the no-title thing with a motorcycle. It was a huge pain in the butt. The DMV cop scoured the whole bike for conflicting vins, had to look it up several times, had to call the manufacturer, etc. Finally, 2 hours later, he gave me a paper, which I submitted to DMV, who did another investigation (30 days) and finally gave me a title.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In GA they don't issue titles for the older vehicles, but they do register them. If it's registered and you sell out of state the new state will pull up the GA registration and issue a title from that. I had sold a truck to someone in WI and it wasn't a problem at all for them to get a title. Just think if it was a problem no vehicles older than 86 would ever be titled if they left GA. Again it depends on your state, this is just GA.

nhdiesel

It also, and probably most importantly, matters which state its going TO. Not all states will accept the other state's paperwork for issuing a title. Thats the problem I've had when selling an older vehicle from N.H. I believe the exception is if I was a licensed dealer. But for private sale, I've had problems selling to other states. This was an issue when I was selling Jeeps and Jeep parts. We ended up just selling the parts, because selling the whole vehicles was going to be a pain, for just a small shop selling an occasional vehicle, without a dealer's license. And getting the license would be a major pain...tried doing it, and it ended up even being required for our used part's business, and thats why we ended up closing our doors.

Jim

BugEyeBear

Yes, it depends HEAVILY on what state the car/truck/cycle/trailer is being sold to.

-Some states will accept a Bill of Sale & a Statement of Facts from the selling state that they don't issue titles for a vehicle of a certain age. With this (& maybe a VIN inspection) they will issue a new title.
-BUT some states simply INSIST on having a valid title from the selling party. No flexibility.

The bottom line is that "NO Title" scares off buyers/bidders. They don't want to deal with the DMV to MAYBE obtain a new title. This reduces your number of potential buyers/bidders. So this typically results in a lower selling price.

If you are considering buying a truck w/o a title be sure you check with your local DMV 1st to be 100% certain of what they will/won't accept AND exactly what sort of paperwork/documention will be required.

I've been there... both as a buyer & as a seller...
As a buyer I will negotiate a lower price to compensate me for the potential hassle.
As a frequent seller I know that a non-titled vehicle will typically sell for less $$. (That's why I NOW always have titles for vehicles I sell! WELL WORTH the extra effort & expense!)