• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce vs. Pine Tree or not?

Maxgussam

Can you use the loader without the backhoe attached? Looks like it is really light in the rear without added weight in (or behind) the bed.

VERY cool machine!!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, as you surmised, it gets too light in the rear. A load of mulch, sure, but not dirt or gravel. MB requires a ballast weight back there, 1500 lbs or more, if there's no implement on the back. The weight hangs off the rear of the Case deck on those big hooks you can't see, LOL.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Now back to tree pulling.

Bob

Can you use the loader without the backhoe attached? Looks like it is really light in the rear without added weight in (or behind) the bed.

VERY cool machine!!

I'm a licensed MD tree expert and I've been killing trees and removing stumps for about 10 years. Spend a couple hundred bucks and have the main body of the stump ground out. That will let whatever piece of earth moving machinery you get in there be able to move the roots. If you dig the whole stump out or pull it out, you're going to have a HUGE chunk of worthless crap to deal with. It will be heavy, it won't burn, and it won't be able to be ground up in a tub grinder. You'll have to drag it into the woods and leave it or dig a big hole and bury it, or pay the landfill a lot of money to have them bury it.

A general rule of thumb to work with is that the furthest reaching roots will be about as far out as the furthest reaching limbs (at least if you haven't cut off any lower limbs to "raise" the tree.

wildbill

I broke my winch on one. So now I push it a little with the bumper and if it looks too
stout, I use my backhoe on the roots. When I do go to pulling on it, I use my pintle
hitch. The root systems on pine trees here in the Wyoming high country are rather
shallow. Good luck and don't do it alone. Wild Bill

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
A properly maintained and operated deuce winch can not break itself.

I have winched over 12 (yes, I keep scorerofl) trees upwards of 75' tall, 3 of which were easily 2' in diameter, and have had great success...
-winching the tree down in one direction (I have used up to a 4 part line and generally rig 10'-15' up)
-cutting the tree 10' or so from the base
-reposition/re-rig and pull the stump from as close to 180 degrees as possible
-dispose of the stumps (I prefer to think of my method {drive them into the woods and leave them} as composting)

This method does leave you with some nice craters, but nothing a skidsteer can't handle.

saddamsnightmare

April 13th, 2010.

Just bid the Unimog SEE on EBAY, you'll not only have the backhoe, but a front end loader also (and chainsaw, and jackhammer and saw....all hydraulically driven).....

Personally, I thought Case had a pretty good thing in that 406 or 408 Unimog derivative, and I hear a lot of screaming from the Army guys about what an SEE won't do, but I doubt if anyone ever got a construction back digging an emplacement with an SEE, whereas the hickory highlift gets me almost every time! I'd love to get an SEE, but failing that, a Bucyrus 22B would do just as well for less change then the SEE's are going for lately.......

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:roll:

Last edited:
Do you guys ever just tie off the Deuce to a tree and use it to make the tree fall the direction you want?

Out here in South Louisiana we have Chinese Tallow trees (we call em chicken trees because chickens will roost in them). They are ugly and grow like weeds.

I just want to make sure this one tree drops in the direction I want it to, I figure by getting the winch line high up I can put enough pressure on it to make sure it doesn't all on my shed when I cut the base. I have plenty of yard and winch line to work with.

I figure just make the tree bow a bit in the direction I want, make the proper cuts near the base, and voila, it should fall where I want it!

Not worried about pulling the stump at this point, I can always burn it in place later.

LongueCarabine

cuukvee85

yes, I have used the deuce to pull in a certain direction. I will usually stay in the truck and as my father cuts I'll put a little pressure on it and it has always fell right where I wanted it to . Give it try
- Jon

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have pulled many trees and have had lots of different results and experiences. A few things I have noticed are for one ,pitch pines and similar knotty pines do have a touch of unpredictability as previously noted and can break suddenly withy unpredictable and sometimes dangerous results. Mostg co niferous trees have smaller root balls though and tend to pull easier if they don't snap first. Oaks tend to be pretty tenacious and often hane tap roots that like to burn out electric winch motors and or shear pins. I found a decent but not foolproof formula for pulling deciduous trees roots and all was one foot up the tree for every inch of girth using a superwinch 16.5 24 volt winch. I would have to chain my unimog to a good tree to acieve good results. My m35 would ussually sheer the pin over 8 inches of girthy using this formula unless the tree was conifrous. Pitch pines will cause damage which I will attest to due to a rather large dent in the rear body of my unimog. At 14 inches electric winches of the type I mentioned can burn out the winch motor and or tear the rear bumper brackets off of the frame and leave ont frustrated and in need of new brackets.
my experiences so far.
pacman

Got one tree pulled out today, it was an old pine that was damaged by high winds back in February. Just wanted to use it for a test. Tomorrow the chicken tree comes out.

Tied the winch to the pine tree and put some pressure by pulling on it. Once I got the tree cut deep enough, we just pulled on it with the winch and it fell right over. Piece of cake.

Not expecting any problems, but am still going to be very careful with placement of the line and the cuts to the tree.

LC

stancanpara

When i pull trees with my truck i leave a good portion of the trunk standing, 5-6 feet (cut & remove everything else) put a good sized chain towards the top for more leverage and attach it to the pintle hook on back a few good yanks and they pull out no problem except that big a** hole you need to back fill or let the kids use it as a foxhole
I've done this multiple times with my Deuce. Pine, Poplar, Oak, Beach etc...

Up to 3 or 4 inches diameter with absolutely no problems!

Have fun and most importantly, :driver:BE CAREFUL!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got one tree pulled out today, it was an old pine that was damaged by high winds back in February. Just wanted to use it for a test. Tomorrow the chicken tree comes out.

Tied the winch to the pine tree and put some pressure by pulling on it. Once I got the tree cut deep enough, we just pulled on it with the winch and it fell right over. Piece of cake.

Not expecting any problems, but am still going to be very careful with placement of the line and the cuts to the tree.

LC
And REMEMBER the SteelSoldiers credo.....

nopics

nopics

nopics

goldwing2000

Banned
April 13th, 2010.

Just bid the Unimog SEE on EBAY, you'll not only have the backhoe, but a front end loader also (and chainsaw, and jackhammer and saw....all hydraulically driven).....

Personally, I thought Case had a pretty good thing in that 406 or 408 Unimog derivative, and I hear a lot of screaming from the Army guys about what an SEE won't do, but I doubt if anyone ever got a construction back digging an emplacement with an SEE, whereas the hickory highlift gets me almost every time! I'd love to get an SEE, but failing that, a Bucyrus 22B would do just as well for less change then the SEE's are going for lately.......

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:roll:
Wow... I have NO idea what you just said there. Any of it. :shock:

westechs_wifey

yes a deuce will pull a pine tree and it root ball too....here is a lil tip ....dig the dirt around the base til you get close to the roots and then pour espom salt all around the root area and then give it a day or two and then give it a good yank and it will come out