• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce w/ shipping contaniner?

kapnklug

I own a M1009, but shopping for a M35A2. Has anyone considered mounting a shipping container as a box, for a bug-out vehicle?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I own a M1009, but shopping for a M35A2. Has anyone considered mounting a shipping container as a box, for a bug-out vehicle?
Why; when there are so many M109 and M185's out there already? Windows that can be covered, big steel doors, etc.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normal deuce bed is 12'. Small connex is 20'. That's 8' of overhang. Like Wayne said, won't need PS. The connex empty willl tare at about 6800# too. Not too much for the deuce but loaded it might be a little close. Consider the M814 5 tonner with the 20' bed. Bad thing about that is you can't run chicken crap for fuel like the deuce.

Snarky

"bug-out vehicle"....? Are you a MASH or Combat unit? Really need to get away fast?
Well, I live in a hurricane prone area where I need to sometimes get out fast, I didn't know I had to be a combat or MASH units to have to want that ability.

Lets see Athens, GA... Hmm... Wildfires, Tropical Storms, Flooding nope, theres no possible reason for him to ever want to leave quickly either.

I think that if you wanted to mount a cargo container you would probably need to lengthen the frame. I thought the small ones were 20ft long and the big ones were 40. I think it would be cool as hell though.

I don't like the M109s personally, not to say I haven't seen some cool ones. However, I think the shape looks a bit weird, like the truck should have been longer. I'm working on a custom slide in for my M35A2 for camping and the end of days.

If you try to put a shipping container on a deuce, make sure you take pictures!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Lets see Athens, GA... Hmm... Wildfires, Tropical Storms, Flooding nope, theres no possible reason for him to ever want to leave quickly either.
I didn't say a BOV was a bad idea, just that a shop van is already pre-made, military engineered and overall a better idea.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If one must use a deuce, the M36 with the 17' bed is a better choice. Also the M292A2 already has 17 feet of van on it.

gunboy1656

You could also find an S280 and mount it in the bed of the deuce.

And as was stated the small conex is 20' long, the standard deuce bed is 12'. in most locations an 8' overhang is illegal.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"bug-out vehicle"....? Are you a MASH or Combat unit? Really need to get away fast?
Why ask why? If we started asking "Why?", I might not be able to come up with a reason for a lot of stuff I do - including buying a deuce. The brother says he needs opinions for his bug out vehicle, that's all. Lets help him build the baddest one out there!

I would say drop your box on a M36. And load it with a full bar! Just because civilation has ended doesn't mean your friends shouldn't be able to get a drink. :)

Make it removable so you can use the truck normally until the zombies come. Pick up at a couple wreckers to load it with.

So addition to your box you now have a good reason to buy a M36 and two wreckers! Damn, now I want a cargo box bug out ride! Let me show my wife this shopping list.

Last edited:

goldneagle

I have looked into it before i got my M820A2. It is feasible to put a SHIPPING CONTAINER on a Deuce! You can get containers in any size including adding a rollup door to the back. There are companies out there that will custom size a shipping container for you. They take a standard container and cut it shorter and then install an end on it.

Sometimes it is better to do some research before you tell someone it cannot be done!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Why not find a donor deuce frame and make a trailer out of it. with the cab removed it would be long enough to mount a 20' container on. :idea:
Allow a couple of feet of overhang for balance (or find a M36 long bed deuce frame) and you have a cool trailer. Swap the standard deuce axles for some 105 trailer axles and lose rolling resistance and weight (you can dual them out or use super singles). You would still have the brake system and electrical harness.
Bend the frame together up front, add a lunette and you have a bug out trailer. You can still use your deuce for a cargo truck and load it down with fuel, ammo and supplies. You need weight in the bed if you are going to pull a heavy trailer.

Just my demented ideas for what they are worth.

rlwm211

I have an M35A2C with an S-280 shelter. I have several reasons for going this way as opposed to an M109.

The S-280 is pretty EMP proof and also is pretty well insulated. As nice as it is to have A/C in any shelter, heating it is more important. I can live without windows and feel quite snug inside being able to keep warm in very cold weather with a small heat source.

The other upside is that the shelter can be removed from the truck if need be. I have a friend with a roll back and it can slide the shelter out and set it on the ground. It is not as easy putting the shelter back in, but not difficult.

The drawbacks; Well, the S-280 is roughly 11-6 x 6-6 x 6-6 and is smaller than an M109. Weight wise, I believe that the M35/S280 combination is slightly lighter by maybe 800#.

A shipping container is bare steel unless you get a reefer. You could cut a container down for length, but width will be 8 feet +. That will not be a problem on highway and the container is pretty heavy as it is designed to be lifted by the corners, by the bottom and also bottom corners. A lot of steel is required for structural integrity and will be a burden on your underpowered Deuce.

Do what you think best. Just my two cents.

RL

The Gimlis

Unless you need to sit in the middle of your hurricane, why do you need the extra weight that comes with a sea container?

We just purchased a M35A2 and plan on making our own box from steel tubing and sheet metal. Of course owning a metal fabrication helps in that aspect, I guess. We are going to use it for the ultimate camping vehicle. Tried to get a M109 thru GL and after getting one EUC kicked back and one lost on someone's desk, we went this route. Thanks to bigelk50, we found an M35A2 in primo condition for a darn good price. Better than most M109's we've seen.

rflegal

I have been toying with a similar idea for my M36 - how about a standard 12' M35 bed on the back and a 5' box between it and the cab, almost like a sleeper? Could be a tool shed, compressor shed, etc. I have found enough web suppliers for enclosed trailer parts (corners, extrusions etc) that I could make a pretty sweet little "trunk" for the "36". Still trying to figur out what to do with all that bed length.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An S-280 is what is going on my M36. With 27" in front for the A/C unit not to hang over the cab (and a place to carry a drum of fuel, plus a civvy 5 kw generator lowered by a divot crane), and a 41" back porch with the tailgate up. Back porch area can be used to carry stuff that does not need to be inside.

rflegal

rflegal - what do you use your truck for?
Nothing right now, just getting it in shape. It has been sitting quite a while because 2/3 gear was missing when I bought it. The woodruff keys were sheared. I've got the mainshaft out and another coming soon. (see my post) Been doing a complete brake refurb in the meantime, just finished rebuilding the air pack last night, new MC, WCs, shoes and hoses coming or in hand ready to go on. Snowed 3" this morning! Not working on her today I think.:grin: Maybe a little this weekend.

We have a small farm... might use it there a bit. Mostly just want to run it out in the sands, maybe use it for 4X4 recovery, so a "tool shed" behind the cab makes sense.